JOB POSTING – HAZELTON DISTRICT PUBLIC LIBRARY
Student Librarian & Summer Reading Club Coordinator
Historic Hazelton is located at the confluence of the Skeena and Bulkley rivers in Northwestern British Columbia. Surrounded by mountains and rivers, lakes and canyons, Hazelton is an outdoor enthusiast’s paradise. It is a welcoming place with a strong community spirit and a longstanding culture of honouring tradition and the land.
The Hazelton District Public Library is situated on traditional Gitxsan territory, and serves a diverse population of Gitxsan, Wet’suwet’en, and settler peoples. We are a small single-branch library within a large geographical catchment area, and do our best to take our summer youth programming out into the surrounding communities as much as possible. Our Student Librarian will help coordinate our outreach Summer Reading Club activities in local First Nations villages, and will be the main facilitator for in-library SRC programming.
- Using a sound understanding of principles of early literacy and library services to youth, plan and lead kids’ summer reading club (SRC) activities in the library and around the community for kids 3-15; also support community facilitators in this work
- Build families’ understanding of how to foster literacy in children/youth
- Market the library & build positive relationships in community
- Maintain statistical records, create reports, and summarize outcomes from programming
- In addition: some collection development & general library work; basic tech support & customer service
To meet Canada Summer Jobs requirements
- Must be between the ages of 15 and 30 years
- Must be returning to full time studies in September 2017
- Proven organizational, leadership and planning skills
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Proven experience working with children
- Knowledge of children’s literature
- Familiarity with First Nations culture and traditions
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
- Responsible, creative, motivated and enthusiastic
- Skilled in web applications and basic software such as MS Office.
- Valid BC Driver’s License and access to a vehicle preferred
- A criminal record check is required (no cost to employee)
N.B. Preference will be given to qualified candidates of First Nations/Inuit/Métis heritage.
Terms of Employment:
- 30 h/wk for 9 weeks
- Some flexibility with start/end dates, but ideally, Start: Wed., June 21, 2017 / End: Wed., August 23, 2017
- Salary: $16.00/hr
- Assistance finding temporary housing in Hazelton is available if needed
How to Apply:
Please submit your cover letter and resume by email to email@example.com by June 9 at 5 p.m.
For further information, please contact Tara Williston, Library Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (778) 641-4321.
Only applicants considered for an interview will be contacted.