VanDocs Application Administrator
Requisition ID: 3841
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world by 2020 and we are proud to be one of BC’s Top Employers, Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world’s most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The VanDocs Application Administrator is responsible for the day to day operation of VanDocs, (the electronic records and document management system or ERDMS) including providing input to the objective and comprehensive analysis of City document and records management policy, standards, processes, practices, systems, staffing and services and developing recommendations. The Administrator has regular access to confidential and sensitive information and monitors and reports on the daily use of the VanDocs system.
The position is also responsible for completing Access to Information requests at a senior analyst level with a high degree of complexity under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. The requests deal with sensitive and confidential documents and data, including labour relations matters, high profile municipal and intergovernmental projects, and civic initiatives. The incumbent must exercise a high degree of discretion when handling sensitive organization information as well as personal and third party business information.
Ensuring practices, methods and corporate responsibilities are maintained and in compliance with the Vancouver Charter; the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act; Information Technology policy and procedures and Corporate Records Management policy and procedures are the responsibility of this position.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Participates in the review, implementation and monitoring of the Corporate Records and Information Management Policy in the context of VanDocs.
- Administers, and provides expert advice on the day to day operation of VanDocs, which requires root access to all ERDMS data, including confidential and sensitive information. Duties include the ongoing administration of the configuration and functionality, access rights, delineation of roles and responsibilities and provision of training and communications activities.
- Monitors and reports on use of VanDocs by City employees including liaison with IT Security on the implementation and enforcement of IT security policies relating to inappropriate use by City employees.
- Develops processes, procedures and guidelines governing electronic and hard-copy records.
- Participates in and may lead projects with inter-departmental teams to review, analyse and recommend on the ongoing development of the VanDocs system, including developing the strategies, requirements and business cases for integrating with Line of Business applications.
- Responsible for managing and completing FOI requests of a sensitive and confidential nature with a high degree of complexity, e.g. labour relations matters, high profile municipal projects, and intergovernmental and civic initiatives.
- Manages the process and progress of all assigned FOI requests ensuring statutory compliance with the provincial legislation. Makes decisions regarding when to escalate a file or item to the FOI Case Manager or the Director, Access to Information for review and consultation.
Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree in archival and information studies or information science, or similar professional qualification or Bachelor’s degree plus equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Five years’ experience in a records management and archives environment, including direct experience with the day to day operation of an electronic record and document management system (ERDMS).
- Three to five years of progressively responsible experience in access and privacy; a minimum of two years of municipal/public sector experience is preferred.
- Formal training in access and privacy principles i.e. Privacy and Access certificate or certification through a recognized professional organization such as the International Association of Privacy Professionals, (IAPP).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated knowledge and the ability to apply the principles and practices of records and information management, in particular, the development and implementation of classification structures, records scheduling and disposition practices, business rules, procedures, guidelines and practices.
- Knowledge of the implementation and operation of an ERDMS including the management of core configuration, access rights and ongoing monitoring and reporting on use.
- Knowledge of and the ability to develop and deliver training programs and communications and change management activities in support of a records and information management program.
- Ability to effectively use technology to develop reports and recommendations in accordance with policy directions.
- Knowledge of the civic policies and standard administrative practices of the City of Vancouver.
- Demonstrated understanding of process management, investigation, research, analysis, and superior skill in the application of information and privacy principles.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise a high level of judgement and confidentiality when handling sensitive corporate and labour relations information.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act of British Columbia.
- Demonstrated knowledge of FOI file review processes, detail-oriented and accurate when completing FOI analysis.
- Detailed knowledge of the Vancouver Charter or Local Government Act of British Columbia.
- Demonstrated superior ability to effectively communicate in verbal and written form.
- Excellent working knowledge of quality control and risk management principles.
- Excellent ability to manage a large, complex project on strict timelines.
- Excellent facilitation, persuasion, negotiation and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Adobe Acrobat Xpro or similar redaction tool set and the Microsoft Office Suite of products.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a team member and as a team lead, superior interpersonal skills and a proven track record in dealing tactfully and effectively with staff, the public and elected officials.
- Ability to work independently and effectively with minimal supervision.
Business Unit/Department: City Clerk’s Office (1060)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: 06/19/2017
Application Close: June 25, 2017
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.