*Job Title: **Collection Services and Metadata Librarian*
Location: San Diego, CA, US
Organization Name: Copley Library
The University of San Diego’s Copley Library seeks an energetic and enthusiastic individual for a library faculty position as Collection Services and Metadata Librarian. The successful candidate will manage daily operations for firm and standing order acquisitions, cataloging, and authority control in Copley Library and will provide metadata expertise for digital initiatives.
Reporting to the Dean of the University Library and working under the direction of the Head of Collections, Access, and Discovery, the Collection Services and Metadata Librarian is responsible for supervising two staff positions. He/she manages the acquisition and receipt of firm and standing orders in digital or print format for Copley Library. As Copley Library’s metadataspecialist, the Collection Services and Metadata Librarian provides oversight for the cataloging of digital and print monographic, audiovisual and other non-serial materials. Duties also include performing original cataloging on a variety of formats and subject areas; collecting and analyzing data and statistics of monographs and audiovisual resources for budgeting and reporting; coordinating authority control and database maintenance; staying abreast of emerging trends and best practices related to metadata, digital and print monographs publishing, and audiovisual format developments; serving on relevant library and university committees; and participating in professional organizations that focus on acquisitions and cataloging. This position serves as a liaison to one academic department. This is a 12-month tenure-track library faculty position.
*Major Duties include:*
· Manages daily operations for firm and standing order acquisition and cataloging in Copley Library
· Serves as Metadata Specialist for Copley Library
· Assists the Head of Collections, Access and Discovery with planning and implementing best practices in cataloging and acquisitions of digital and print monographic, standing order and audiovisual resources
· Collects and analyzes data and statistics for monographs and audiovisual resources
· Coordinate authority control and database maintenance activities
· Miscellaneous other activities
· Other duties as assigned
· ALA accredited MLS or MLIS degree
· Experience with an integrated library system, preferably III’s Sierra
· Demonstrated training or experience working in cataloging/metadata with knowledge of AACR2 and RDA standards; MARC and Dublin Core formats; OCLC Connexion; and Library of Congress subject headings and classification
· Experience with authority control
· Strong analytical, problem solving, time management, and organizational skills, as well as attention to detail
· Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
· Experience using spreadsheets
· Capable of working with Head of Collections, Access and Discovery and the Electronic Resources and Serials Librarian
· Serve on relevant library and university committees
· Serve as a liaison to one academic department
· Meet requirements of tenure and promotion of the library Reappointment, Rank and Tenure process, including pursuing a research agenda and participating in professional organizations within the field of academic librarianship or job-related field.
· Ability to collaborate and work with library faculty and staff and faculty in academic departments
· Ability to work well individually and within a team in an evolving work environment
· Two or more years of related experience in cataloging or acquisitions within technical servicesoperation in an academic library
· Working knowledge of metadata tools and systems, such as XML, Oxygen, MarcEdit
· Experience in collection development/acquisitions
· Experience with cataloging a variety of formats
· Experience with metadata and digital projects
· Supervisory experience
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community. Candidates from underrepresented and underserved groups are encouraged to apply.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources:
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree
Deadline: Formal review of applications will begin July 15, 2017, and continues until the position is filled.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check, to include social security verification and federal/county criminal check.
*How to Apply: *
To apply, go to https://usdebsprod.sandiego.edu/OA_HTML/IrcVisitor.jsp and follow these steps:
1) Click on the link for current faculty openings.
2) Click on the link for IRC22735.
3) Click Apply Now and register as an applicant.
4) Please upload the following documents (please do not send any additional materials). If you have difficulty uploading any documents, please contact Human Resources at (619) 260-6806 or (619) 260-2725 and reference job posting IRC22735.
a) Letter of application
c) Names, addresses and telephone numbers of five professional references.
Questions can be directed to Dr. Theresa S. Byrd, Dean of the University Library, (619) 260-2370, email@example.com.