Halifax Regional Municipality is inviting applications for Halifax Municipal Archives’ Young Canada Works Internship, within the Corporate Information Management department of the Municipal Clerk`s Office, from the Archival studies graduates seeking in-depth professional experience. We encourage applications from graduates who meet the Young Canada Works eligibility requirements, especially qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women in non-traditional positions, persons with disabilities and Aboriginal persons in the workplace. HRM encourages applicants to self-identify.
The Archives Intern will contribute to a number of projects which will offer experience in the full range of archival functions with a focus on: reference, preservation, description and on-line accessibility. It will also be an opportunity to develop more general skills that are key to advancement in a professional career, including time management, project management, and communication, interacting with stakeholders and working collaboratively with other heritage and information professionals.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Description and Preservation: select and process significant historical photographs, documents, maps and plans for archival preservation and access.
- Reference: provide reference and reproduction services to the public.
- Discovery: prepare on-line exhibits and social media postings to promote access to Archives` holdings.
- Students must meet Young Canada Work’s eligibility requirements.
- A Canadian citizen or a permanent resident and legally eligible to work in Canada, or have refugee status in Canada; Note: Non-Canadian students holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible.
- Will be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment.
- Are willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment.
- Will not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week**) while employed with YCW.
- Are an unemployed or underemployed college or university graduate, that is, not employed full-time.Are a recent graduate who has graduated from college or university within the last 24 months at the start of employment.
- Are not receiving Employment Insurance (EI) benefits while employed with YCW.
- Have not previously participated in or been paid under this or any other Career Focus internship program funded under the Government of Canada’s Youth Employment Strategy.
- Candidates are required to have graduated from an archival studies or an information/library studies program with courses in archives, or experience working in archives.
- Be familiar entering data into complex databases and excel spreadsheet and on-line searching.
- Have knowledge of care and handling of archival records.
- Have attention to detail, good time management skills and excellent oral and written communication skills, especially web-based.
- Reference, research, description according to the Rules of Archival Description, and digitization experience and familiarity with copyright and privacy legislation would be an asset.
Security Clearance Requirements: Applicants may be required to complete an employment security check.
Please note- Testing may be conducted as a component of the selection process to assess technical and job specific knowledge. Candidates, who are selected for testing, may be tested in a group setting, scheduled at employer’s discretion.
Competencies: Achievement Motivation, Communication, Continuous Learning, Customer Service, Initiative, Organization and Planning, Valuing Diversity.
WORK STATUS: Temporary, full-time, 22 weeks.
HOURS OF WORK: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. – Monday to Friday.
SALARY: Non-union: $18.00 per hour + 4% vacation pay.
WORK LOCATION: 81 Ilsley Ave., Unit 11, Dartmouth, NS.
CLOSING DATE: Applications will be received up to midnight on Tuesday, July 25, 2017
During the recruitment process, applicants have the right to request an accommodation. Applicants invited to participate in an assessment process ( such as an interview or testing) and who require accommodation, should discuss their needs with the Recruiter when invited to the assessment process.
(Position # 78621314)