Temporary Employment Opportunity
Foreign Language Catalogers – Immediate Openings
Backstage Library Works is seeking Catalogers to work on-site at the Library of Congress, processing German, Spanish, and Russian language materials. The project is expected to run through July 2018, but each cataloger’s employment will conclude with the completion of their language category.
The catalogers will work with materials to create original MARC records according to the Library’s RDA record guidelines. Prior to hiring, each cataloger must demonstrate knowledge of standard cataloging practice and the language they are applying to process.
Catalogers may be hired as full time hourly employees of Backstage Library Works, or as independent contractors working at a per-record rate (see below for details).
Catalogers should clearly state their language of expertise in their cover letter.
- Perform original cataloging using RDA standard and local guidelines in MARC format
- Identify headings (name and subject) requiring authority work for referral to library staff
- Meet daily production levels and standards
- Make informed decisions within given specifications with little supervision
- Demonstrated knowledge of cataloging practices and standards
- Demonstrated knowledge of the language with which cataloger will be working
- Experience working in Voyager ILS
- Strong understanding of library standards, including RDA, MARC21, and LCSH
- Strong knowledge of the Library of Congress Authority file
- Strong searching skills
- Attentiveness to detail and quality
- Work in a deadline-oriented, production environment
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work independently & productively
- Learn new skills quickly and thoroughly
- Basic familiarity with Windows & Microsoft Office suite
- Type speed minimum: 50+ wpm
- Ability to lift 40 lbs.
- Must pass a background check prior to appointment
Full-time employee wage starts at $18.00 per hour. Independent contractor piece-rate is negotiable.
Please submit a cover letter and resume via email to Kate Clayborne (email@example.com). Include the language for which you are applying. Applications will be accepted until the positions are filled.