About Columbia College
Founded in 1936, Columbia College is Canada’s oldest international college. Located in Vancouver, the college has prepared thousands of young adults for entry into some of the leading universities in Canada and the United States. Columbia College serves a diverse group of students and offers the following programs: University Transfer, Associate Degree, Grade 10 -12 High School and Academic ESL.
This part-time position provides circulation services at Columbia College Library for the weekly Saturday shift. The Saturday Circulation Assistant may also take weekday shifts on an on-call basis to provide coverage during staff illness or vacation. The Saturday Assistant provides excellent customer service to the College’s 2,000 international students and support services to the library as a whole. The successful candidate will actively support student learning with a helpful approach and a strong belief in the value of education and learning.
- Perform general circulation duties including check-in, check-out, creating and maintaining patron records, opening and closing duties, and troubleshooting issues with patron accounts
- Stack maintenance and general library tidiness
- Assist patrons with locating materials, use of equipment and technology, use of online resources, citations, and basic reference questions
- Assist with material processing, book displays, social media, and other library outreach initiatives, and other projects as assigned
- Library Technician diploma, completed or in progress.
- At least one year of work experience in a library setting.
- BA preferred.
Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of library circulation services and procedures.
- Experience using an Integrated Library System.
- Extensive working experience with Microsoft Office suite, including Access, Excel and Word.
- Excellent interpersonal and written/verbal communication skills.
- Friendly, approachable, with a customer-service orientation.
- Able to exercise good judgment.
- Adaptable, flexible, and a team-player.
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Knowledge of International Students and the challenges they face is an asset.
Hours of Work: Saturday shift, 8:45-4:45, 7 hours per week during three 14-week semesters; and on-call during the week as required. Occasional hours between semesters may be available.
Salary: The hourly rate for this position is $24.18.
Please submit a cover letter and resume (consolidated into one PDF or Word document) by August 31st, 2017 to Denise Guiblejman, HR Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest in the position, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.