The Education Coordinator is responsible for coordinating year-round programming of the Vancouver Writers Fest’s Spreading the Word Educational Outreach Program specifically 20 school visits with writers (10 in the spring and 10 during the October Festival) and a potential for more programming (Writer Residency). The Education coordinator plays a role in supporting the outreach efforts for the 36 STW Festival events on Granville Island during the Festival week.
The Education Coordinator reports to the Artistic Director and works closely with the Artistic Associate, the Marketing and Publicity Manager and other key Festival staff on planning and executing high quality educational outreach experiences for K-12 students in British Columbia.
A key priority in 2018 will be a top-to-bottom analysis and needs assessment of the program to evaluate how the STW programs can best provide relevant and engaging educational opportunities for students (and teachers) of all ages in the Lower Mainland and throughout BC. This will involve, at the least, conducting an environmental scan of other education outreach programs in British Columbia and identifying potential partner organizations and opportunities.
Specific deliverables include:
- Develop a strategy and timeline for communications about Spreading the Word programs with educators, teachers, teacher librarians, school administrators, school boards (both public and private school systems), home school associations, Literacy Advocates, Literacy Outreach Coordinators and more.
- Develop and implement, in conjunction with the Marketing and Publicity Manager, an effective promotional plan for the STW programs, including reviewing and updating program materials and school distribution lists, and connecting with educators both one-on-one and at industry events.
- Research and develop programming options for Spreading the Word events, in conjunction with the Artistic Director, that reflect BC Curriculum goals and the interests and needs of teachers and educators, both in and out of the classroom.
- Research and make recommendations for alternate education outreach opportunities in the Lower Mainland and further afield in the province of B.C.
- Develop, implement and co-ordinate other educational outreach activities that may be required by and developed in consultation with the Development Director and the Marketing & Publicity Manager.
- Co-ordinate Reading with Writers school visits at schools throughout the Lower Mainland; generally ten in the Spring and ten in October, including liaising with teachers and writers.
- Create systems to cost-track the program’s implementation, including an annual review of the budget allocation.
- Develop and implement systems to review the effectiveness of STW programs, including collecting relevant feedback and input from teachers, educators and other attendees in a timely manner.
- Work with the Development Director to identify and attain grants to fund STW programs.
- Develop, manage and maintain relationships with teachers and educators who are returning patrons of the STW programs.
- 2-5 years’ experience with program coordination, or project and event management
- Knowledge and experience working with BC’s educational system an asset
- Knowledge of the new BC curriculum an asset
The position is part-time with flexible hours approximately 15-20 hours per week. This includes one half day working onsite at the Writers Fest office on Granville Island.
The position is that of a contractor and the duration of the contract is runs from January – November annually.
Compensation is commensurate with experience.
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com subject line: Education Coordinator position.