Department: Learning Services
Reports To: Director of Learning
Rate of Pay: This is a temporary full time, granted funded position for a five-month term. Pay rate $23.58/hr, plus percentage in lieu
Period of Employment: November 6, 2017 – March 23, 2018
Posting Date: Monday, October 2, 2017
Closing Date: Friday, October 13, 2017
Positions pending funding from Young Canada Works
Nature of Position
The H.R. MacMillan Space Centre is seeking a dynamic recent graduate from a recognized archives program to assist in establishing our image archives. The Space Centre has a vast collection of approximately 80,000 images taken from historic sites around the world. We are in the process of assessing our collection and establishing a contemporary archives to protect the images and make them more available.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Working with staff this position involves developing the foundational pieces for our image archives; a database, written procedures outlining best practices for digitizing, cataloguing and storing our images, and to make recommendations for future work required so that our image archive attains contemporary archival standards.
Recent archival studies graduate with a training in managing audio visual materials, database design, and digital image collections• Experience in digitizing materials
• Good communication skills – written and verbal
• Good computer and research skills
• Good organizational skills
• Good problem solving and multi-tasking abilities
• Attention to detail
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Flexible and able to work in different work environments
• Legible hand writing / printing
• Ability to lift 50 lbs.
This is a grant-funded student employment position. Candidates must be
• a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada (non-Canadians holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible);
• are legally entitled to work in Canada;
• will be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
• are willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment;
• will not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) while employed with the program;
• are an unemployed or underemployed college or university graduate, that is, not employed full time;
• are a recent graduate who has graduated from college or university within the last 24 months at the start of employment;
• are not receiving Employment Insurance (EI) benefits while employed with the program; and
• have not previously participated in or been paid under this or any other Career Focus internship program funded under the Government of Canada’s Youth Employment Strategy.
Please apply in writing with a resume and cover letter to the attention of the Director of Human Resources no later than 5:00pm Friday, October 13, 2017.
HR MacMillan Space Centre
1100 Chestnut Street
Vancouver, BC V6J 3J
By Fax: 604-736-5665
By Email: firstname.lastname@example.org