The Hudson’s Bay Company Archives and the Legislative Library of Manitoba are pleased to offer a Young Canada Works Student Internship to highly motivated and flexible individual able to work effectively on and with a variety of tasks, responsibilities and people. Candidate must also demonstrate good communication, time management and interpersonal skills.
One 17-week full-time internship will expose the intern to a unique experience working with historical and contemporary library holdings of the Hudson’s Bay Company Archives Library and the Legislative Library. The intern will also develop in-depth cataloguing experience and sophisticated research skills and work with and be trained by highly qualified and experienced cataloguing librarians, library technicians and archivists.
The candidate will have graduated with a Master’s degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA-accredited program. The successful candidate will demonstrate:
• Understanding of how libraries function and the various services they provide
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize work effectively
• Proven research and analytical skills
• Excellent communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Experience with standard desktop applications
Your cover letter and curriculum vitae should clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications. Students must meet Young Canada Work’s eligibility requirements:
• A Canadian citizen or a permanent resident and legally eligible to work in Canada, or have refugee status
• Will be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment
• Are willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment.
• Will not have another full-time job (over 30 hours per week) while employed with YCW
• Are an unemployed or underemployed college or university graduate, that is, not employed full-time
• Are a recent graduate who has graduated from college or university within the last 24 months at the start of employment
• Are not receiving Employment Insurance (EI) benefits while employed with YCW
• Have not previously participated in or been paid under this or any other Career Focus internship program funded under the Government of Canada’s Youth Employment Strategy
SALARY: $1459.43 bi-weekly ($20.13/hour/36.25 hour week)
START DATE: 16 October 2017 (with some flexibility)