ArcelorMittal – Global R&D Hamilton
Library Resource Centre
**4 or 8 month placement**
January and/or May 2018 start
ArcelorMittal Dofasco plays a key role in North America’s advanced manufacturing supply chain working with the top automotive, energy, packaging and construction brands to develop lighter, stronger and more sustainable products – from cans to cars. Founded in 1912, we are Hamilton’s largest private sector employer with more than 5,000 employees shipping 4.5 million net tons of high quality flat carbon steel annually. Around the world, the ArcelorMittal Group employs 240,000 employees in 60 countries and looks to flagship sites like ArcelorMittal Dofasco to develop new technology and products that are fundamentally transforming tomorrow.
ArcelorMittal Dofasco’s iconic motto Our Product is Steel. Our Strength is People.® is a true expression of our belief that people are the company’s competitive advantage. Underpinning this are our values of Quality, Sustainability and Leadership – brought to life by generations of employees who have come to work for more than 100 years creating world class products, processes and services. Corporate responsibility is paramount to our operations and our commitment spans four pillars: investing in people, enriching our community, making steel sustainable and transparent governance. Dofasco employees have access to a unique 750-acre recreation park that features community activities, sports events as well as multiple on-site fitness facilities with state-of-the-art equipment.
The ArcelorMittal Global R&D Hamilton research lab has a staff of ~50 people and a wide range of analytical and process simulation equipment. The lab is part of the larger Global R&D organization with ~1400 researchers in 14 labs across Europe and the Americas. The R&D lab provides technical leadership in process improvement and new product development that supports both the Hamilton plant and broader global applications.
The Library Resource Centre functions as an integral part of the research lab. Working with research, technical, and information staff around the world LRC staff provide information in both proactive and reactive ways. The LRC is currently in the throes of four large projects — Implementing SSO for EOS.web, managing the design of a new research building, importing the library holdings of the Brazil R&D centre into the EOS.web catalogue, and working toward implementation of knowledge initiatives for Global R&D.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess a background in the sciences or business; the ability to work independently; common sense; attention to detail; enjoy working with people of various background (educational and cultural); and a strong work ethic.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assisting LRC manager in all aspects of special library management
- Vacation and travel coverage where you will be the sole staff in LRC
- Research and reference questions
- Cataloguing new acquisitions in EOS.web; verifying converted catalogue records are correct
- Journal receipt and processing
- Any and all duties of a solo practitioner including searching, reporting, statistics, etc.
- Currently enrolled in library and information science/technology programme at any level
- Knowledge of, or experience in, special libraries.
- Must be a self-starter capable of initiating projects and seeing them through to completion.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work as a team member on cross-functional projects.
- Skills to use computer software required to compile data, and report findings.
- Must be eligible to work in Canada.
- Although English is the standard language in ArcelorMittal, a second language is a benefit – e.g. French, Portuguese, Spanish, etc.
Work Environment & Hours of Work
The successful candidate will work closely with other technical staff and team members. Hours of work will generally be Monday to Friday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. (flexible) 40 hours per week.
ArcelorMittal Dofasco is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities to support their participation in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process. If you require accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
Address applications to
Carolyne Darimont BASc MLIS P.Eng.
Manager, Library Resource Centre
ArcelorMittal Global R&D – Hamilton
Box 2460, 1390 Burlington St. E.
Hamilton, Ontario L8N 3J5