Vanderbilt University is pleased to announce we are taking application for a Curator of Special Collections position. https://vanderuniv.taleo.net/careersection/.vu_cs/jobdetail.ftl?job=1701848&tz=GMT-05%3A00
Curator of Special Collections – University Library-1701848
About Vanderbilt University:
Vanderbilt is a renowned private institution founded in 1873 located a little more than a mile from downtown Nashville, TN. The university’s students, faculty, staff and visitors frequently cite Nashville as one of the perks of Vanderbilt. VU is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt was recently ranked #1 in the Princeton Review among 382 top colleges and universities for “happiest students” – as well as #2 for “best quality of life” and “great financial aid,” #5 for “best run colleges” and “beautiful campus,” and #6 for both being in a “college city that students love” and having “great campus/city relations.”
About the Position and Responsibilities:
The Curator of Special Collections oversees and manages a diverse collection of literary manuscripts and rare books across the distinctive collections at the Vanderbilt University Library. You will Report to the Director of Special Collections, the Curator’s responsibilities include reader services and access for special collections, exhibition research, collection development, rare book cataloging/metadata work, and public outreach.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Fostering Research and Learning with Special Collections Materials
- Offers a regular program of course presentations and instruction;
- Teaches non-curricular courses in the history of the book and related subjects;
- Participates in event and exhibition planning;
- Provides assistance to researchers in person, by telephone, and by letter and e-mail.
Providing Bibliographic Control and Access
- Assists with collection development and appraisal;
- Serves as embedded cataloger and liaison to technical services in the Special Collections division of the library;
- Coordinates with the preservation office about the care and conservation of rare books throughout the library system.
Research and Development
- Works with donors to develop new collections, programs, and events;Writes grants to support emerging and innovative special collections initiatives;
- Presents and publishers regularly on bibliography and special collections
Qualifications and Experience:
- ALA-accredited MLS degree or its equivalent
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in a special collections library, archives, or museum library;
- Working knowledge of online library systems, AACR2, RDA, LCSH, DCRM formats, and authority control. Knowledge and experience with OCLC
- Must be collaborative and user-focused. Good written and oral communication skills
- Capacity to thrive in the changing environment of a major research institution and to respond effectively to changing needs and priorities;
- Knowledge of at least one non-English European language, preferably Spanish, Latin, Portuguese, or French
- Demonstrated skills in program and project management, and a commitment to special collections librarianship as a career.
- Membership in ACRL’s RBMS (Rare Books and Manuscripts Section);
- Subject master’s degree in literature, history, religious studies, cultural studies, or other appropriate area of specialization;
- Understanding of a variety of non-MARC metadata schema;
- Exhibition experience;
- Knowledge of BIBFRAME and the principles of linked data.
In addition to offering a lively community that encourages learning and celebrates diversity, VU offers a competitive, flexible benefits package including health, dental, vision, life, accidental death & dismemberment, disability insurance, paid time off, and a 403(b) retirement plan with employer match. Vanderbilt offers tuition assistance to employees, spouses and dependent children. Also, after five years of service, Vanderbilt will pay up to 55% of the tuition for up to three dependent children to earn a bachelor’s degree. Learn more about Vanderbilt’s benefits at VU Benefits Overview