Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity is seeking an Archives Assistant II.
Full Job Posting: http://bit.ly/2yaoBw9
Each year, Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity attracts thousands of artists, faculty, and community leaders from around the world by offering unique and specialized professional development programs. The Archives of the Paul D. Fleck Library and Archives of Banff Centre maintains the institutional memory of Banff Centre by acquiring, preserving, and providing access to the documented history of Banff Centre, including photographs, video, and text records.
Banff Centre Archives is looking for a highly organized Archives Assistant II to work with the Archivist to provide front-line service to artists, staff, and external researchers and to support the acquisition, preservation, processing, and accessibility of the archival collections.
- Coordinate the timely acquisition of Banff Centre printed serials and other materials by liaising with departments
- Assist the Archivist with arrangement and description of archival materials, and with the development of Finding Aids
- Identify preservation issues during document handling, and in consultation with the Archivist, implement solutions such as rehousing
- Retrieve and re-shelve material from archival storage locations, and assign new storage locations to maximize efficiency
- Guide clients in determining their information needs and research and locate archival information/documents in response to requests
- Assist the Archivist with planning and creating archival displays
- Scan photographs and textual documents and digitize audio and video recordings, applying quality control and metadata standards
- Maintain statistical information and provide administrative support to the Archivist
Qualification and Educational Requirements
- Graduation from a recognized college or university with course work relevant to archival practices plus completion of the ASA Archives Institute or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel and proven ability to be accurate in database and spreadsheet entry
- Keen attention to detail
- High commitment to providing excellent customer service
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, good time management and prioritization skills, and the ability to work independently
- Knowledge of DBTextWorks or other database software, the Rules for Archival Description, scanning/digitization technology, and website design are considered assets
- Familiarity with copyright and information access and privacy laws as they apply to archival reference is an asset
- Knowledge of records management best practices is an asset
Candidates offered a position with Banff Centre, in this capacity, will be required to obtain a criminal record check verifying a clear record before a final job offer can be finalized.
Candidates must be physically capable of lifting boxes up to 30 pounds, maneuvering book trucks weighing up to 50 pounds, and climbing on stools and ladders.
Employment Terms & Benefits
In accordance with CUPE 4318, this is a unionized, hourly support staff position, subject to a 500-hour probationary period.
This position pays $18.42 per hour working up to 37.5 hours per week.
Banff Centre offers on-the-job training, a supportive work environment, a staff cafeteria, subsidized fitness memberships, staff events, and free/reduced admission to many Banff Centre concerts, films, lectures and exhibitions. For more information please visit our benefits page.
We are currently accepting applications for the Archives Assistant II until a suitable candidate is found. Please include a cover letter demonstrating how your experience translates to this position and why you are interested in becoming part of our team.
Submit your application, resume and cover letter online via Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity careers website as per below: http://bit.ly/2yaoBw9
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to fostering diversity within its work community. If you are a foreign national please visit our International Applicants page for more information.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.