Hours Per Week 10
Wage 16.16/hr. + 7% in lieu of benefits
Number of Openings 1
Start Date January 2, 2018
Minimum commitment 1 term (i.e. through April 30, 2018)
Application Review Starts Monday, November 20, 2017
Send resume to (N.B. no phone calls, no in-person application drop-offs)
Robert Stibravy <firstname.lastname@example.org>
The UBC Library Digitization Centre is a key part of the Library’s effort to adapt to the evolving needs of faculty and students and to support teaching, research and learning at UBC. Our goal is to create sustainable, world-class programs and processes and to make the collections and research at UBC available to the world.
Materials relating to the Meiji era held by the UBC Library, and chosen by a Japanese subject specialist librarian in concert with UBC Asian Studies faculty, will be digitized to create a collection for teaching and learning.
The student hired for this project will digitize books using the ATIZ book cradle, Epson flatbed, CONTEX sheet-fed scanners, and the TTI copy system, and perform quality control checks on digital files. Using Photoshop, the student will process the digitized items so that they are suitable for web display and downloading. Using existing metadata from the UBC Library catalogue and new metadata, the student will create metadata for these digital objects and upload them to the CONTENTdm digital asset management system. The student will follow defined processes and standards in all activities.
The student’s work will be made available on UBC Library’s Open Collections, https://open.library.ubc.ca/collections/
• Working knowledge of, and experience with, computers, scanning software and hardware
• Working knowledge of, and experience with, word processing, spreadsheet and graphics editing programs (MS Office and Photoshop preferred)
• Working knowledge of, and experience with, digital asset management systems (CONTENTdm preferred)
• Outstanding oral and written communication and organizational skills
• Accuracy and attention to detail
• Ability to follow and carry out instructions
• Ability to prioritize work and to meet deadlines
• Ability to work both independently and within a team environment
• Able to lift up to 20 lbs.