Position: Museum Collections Assistant
The Port Coquitlam Heritage and Cultural Society is a volunteer driven non-profit organization that operates Port Coquitlam’s only museum and archives and is dedicated to celebrating and preserving Port Coquitlam’s diverse heritage and culture.
We are seeking Museum Collection Assistants to help with ongoing collection management projects related to the museum’s artifact and archive collections.
Working under the direction of the Society’s Museum Coordinator, the Museum Collections Assistant will:
- Assist with artifact and archival cataloguing including; writing condition reports, photographing artifacts, digitizing photographs and records, and updating the museums’ collection database
- Assist with managing collection information and records
- Assist with processing incoming collections (donation/loan forms, accessioning etc.)
- Conduct research related to updating collection records
- Prepare collection and archival materials for exhibits and displays
- Assist with incoming research requests
- Other duties as assigned
- A minimum of 10 hours per week with flexible start times from 10:30 am to 4:30 pm, between Tuesday and Saturday.
- The position is a 4 month commitment.
- Outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail
- High level of computer literacy including spreadsheets, databases, and word processing (Microsoft Office) – experience with PastPerfect an asset
- Excellent English oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong research skills
- Able to work independently and in a collaborative environment
- Reliable and punctual
- Able to lift and carry boxes and supplies up to 20 lbs, and able to climb ladders and reach overhead
- Be part of a social, appreciative environment where you can get immersed in community focused heritage and culture
- A place to share your talents, knowledge, stories, and experiences
- The opportunity to develop or enhance valuable career focused skills
- The chance to receive career mentorship, including but not limited to ongoing support, feedback, and network building
- Reference letter upon request
Please submit a cover letter and resume to:
Kelly Brown, Museum Coordinator
Subject: Volunteer Position – Museum Collections Assistant
Note: While we will conduct interviews during the month of December, the position will not start until the week of January 8th.