Job Title: Librarian, Reference and Instruction
Full Time/Part Time: Part-Time, Fraction (50%) of Full-Time
Posting Type: Concurrent
Department/Program: Library Services
Description of Position:
The Langara Library is seeking a team-oriented, innovative Librarian with a strong commitment to customer service. Librarians work in a collegial environment to develop and implement services, policies, and collections to meet the College’s educational goals. The successful candidate will possess excellent communication, interpersonal, leadership, and organizational skills. The position requires a high degree of flexibility and openness to change.
Working with the reference and instruction teams, this position will provide reference and research support services, teach library classes, and serve as a liaison to several instructional departments.
Consider applying if you have a strong commitment to reference and library instruction, as well as enthusiasm for working with faculty and students.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The successful candidate will:
- provide reference services, including virtual reference
- develop relationships and liaise with instructional and College departments, primarily in the sciences
- plan and teach information literacy classes
- participate in collection development within liaison areas and as needed
- participate in liaison department program reviews as required
- A master’s degree from an ALA-accredited program in library or information science
- Experience providing reference and instructional services, preferably in an academic setting
- Demonstrated ability to develop and deliver effective and engaging library instruction
- Working knowledge of print, electronic and Internet resources for a wide variety of disciplines
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to manage a widerange of responsibilities in a timely manner
- Ability to determine and respond to needs of diverse user groups
- Demonstrated ability to use and learn library and related educational technologies
- Commitment to developing professional knowledge and skills on a continuing and ongoing basis
- Experience in subject liaison work including collection development an asset
- Academic credentials or work experience in the sciences an asset
Length of appointment: Start Date to April 30, 2018, with the possibility of renewal. Additional on-call hours are also available.
Start Date: As soon as possible
Salary Range: Salary placement is on Langara instructors’ salary scale in accordance with qualifications and experience.
Employee Group: LFA
Application Information: Please forward your resume and cover letter, no later than 4:30pm of the closing date to “Apply Here”.
Competition No.: F083-17
Deadline: December 10, 2017
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.