The David Lam Management Research Library serves students, faculty and staff at the Sauder School of Business. Our services and collections exist within the Canaccord Learning Commons, alongside study space, tutoring, and technical support tailored to business students. We are seeking a Student Librarian with an entrepreneurial spirit and an interest in learning about business reference and instruction, to staff our drop-in research help service.
The salary for this position is $20.23 per hour, plus 4% holiday pay.
This position begins in January 2018 and continues through to mid-April 2018. The Student Librarian will be scheduled for up to 10 hours per week on weekdays between 1:00pm and 4:00pm.
The Student Librarian will:
- Provide in-person research help using the library’s catalogue, website, online research guides and business and interdisciplinary databases.
- Work closely with the branch librarians to develop and/or maintain online instructional materials, including research guides.
- Assist branch librarians with other projects as time permits.
- Applicants must have completed the MLIS Core program and must be familiar with the UBC Library system and its online resources.
- A strong interest in business research is essential; reference coaching and training will be provided.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, initiative, flexibility, reliability and ability to work both independently and in a team are required.
- Competency in searching and using online resources, including free web-based materials and proprietary electronic resources is essential.
- Ability and enthusiasm for classroom instruction is required.
- Reference and/or public service experience and teaching or presentation experience are preferred.
- An academic background in Commerce is an asset but is not necessary.
- Experience in developing print and/or electronic learning objects is an asset.
Please e-mail a cover letter and resume (with 3 references) and your expected date of graduation in one attachment to Irena Trebic, Reference Librarian, David Lam Management Research Library, (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 1:00pm on Friday, December 15. The subject line should state: David Lam – Student Librarian Application – Your First Name Last Name. All applicants will receive an e-mail confirmation upon receipt of application. We expect to conduct interviews in December 2017. Only short listed candidates will receive further correspondence.