|Please note that this position has been filled.
Professional Experience (check one)
|Professional Experience Project Proposal Form|
|Name of Organization|
|Teck Resources Limited|
|Suite 3300, 550 Burrard Street
Vancouver, BC V6C 0B3
|Purpose of the project:|
|The purpose of this project is to physically process the records of the Cominco Fonds.
Established in 1906, Cominco Ltd. was one of Canada’s leading companies engaged in mining, mineral exploration, smelting, and in chemical and fertilizer production. In 2001, Cominco was amalgamated with Teck Corporation leading to the creation of what is now known as Teck Resources Ltd.
The Cominco fonds includes information regarding the company’s origins as a subsidiary of the CPR, the management and growth of the company’s diversified businesses, and information about each of its mines and other various holdings. Collected by the Cominco Library and organized by subject, the collection requires intervention to ensure it is processed, intellectually organized, and preserved according to current archival and preservation best practices.
|Summary of activities required to carry out the project:|
|– Collaborate with the Corporate Archivists to develop a finding aid for the fonds according to RAD and with appropriate cross-references to the original organization of the fonds
– Intellectually organize the fonds according to series
– Physically rehouse the fonds as required
– Make recommendations for the conservation and long-term preservation of material within the fonds and undertake those activities wherever possible.
|Expectations of the end result of the project, for both host and student:|
|– Processing as much of the fonds as possible in the given timeframe
– A RAD-compliant finding aid for what has been processed during the project, cross referencing the original organization of the fonds;
– The records rehoused for long-term preservation;
– Recommendations for any outstanding preservation/conservation actions to be undertaken on the newly processed and rehoused material in the fonds;
– A plan for outstanding work to be completed post project
|Time periods in which the project could be supervised (check all that apply):|
|Is there a deadline by which the project must be completed?|
|Considering the project requirements, please suggest suitable coursework as pre-requisite or co-requisite: (e.g. LIBR 580 Collection Management, ARST 515 Arrangement & Description of Archival Materials.)|
|– ARST 515 Arrangement & Description of Archival Materials
– ARST 520 Selection and Acquisition of Archival Documents
– ARST 587 Preservation