Simon Fraser University Library invites applications for Term Reference Librarian positions at the Burnaby, Surrey and Vancouver campuses for the Spring and Summer 2018 semesters, with the possibility of extension. Spring semester appointments will be February to April and Summer appointments May to August. Hours and locations subject to change. Hours may be full time or part time depending on location needs and on the successful candidates’ availability.
The incumbents will be responsible for providing in-person and online research help and instruction in all disciplines and for contributing to projects. This position will be attractive to very adaptable and innovative individuals with excellent communication and collaborative skills and a strong public service focus; who are highly motivated to embrace new technologies and to provide services to faculty and students.
Ranked by respected national surveys as one of Canada’s top three comprehensive universities for the past 20 years, Simon Fraser University has also been named one of British Columbia’s Top Employers for 2016, as well as one of Canada’s Top 100 employers, and one of Canada’s top family-friendly employers. SFU offers more than 100 undergraduate major and joint major programs and more than 45 graduate offerings, spanning many disciplines in eight faculties, and has an international reputation for its innovative interdisciplinary and professional programs. The university has three campuses, in Burnaby, Surrey and Vancouver; the main WAC Bennett Library is in Burnaby, Belzberg Library is in Vancouver, and Fraser Library is in Surrey.
The SFU Library is known for the development and implementation of innovative technology, as well as for excellent in-person and online user services. Our 2017 – 2021 Strategic Plan will guide priorities during the next five year period. We serve an ethnically diverse student population, most of whom live off-campus and work part-time while attending university. For more information, see our web site at www.lib.sfu.ca
Successful candidates will:
- provide in-person and online research help in all disciplines as a member of a team serving students and faculty in an active research environment
- provide instruction on research skills and the use of information resources through individual consultations, instruction, and the provision of research help guides
- work individually or with other library staff on projects
- develop professional knowledge and skills on a continuing basis.
- MLIS or equivalent from an accredited institution in hand by start date (February or May)
- Broad knowledge of print and electronic resources for a wide variety of disciplines required
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills required
- Experience in web page creation and/or design required
- Demonstrated skill in planning and delivering instruction required
- Demonstrated ability to master research tools and information sources thoroughly and quickly required
- Demonstrated ability to assist students and faculty from a variety of disciplines in a busy research environment
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a collegial team environment
- Superior interpersonal and intercultural skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Chat reference experience an asset.
TERMS OF APPOINTMENT
Appointments will run February to April and/or May to August 2018, with the possibility of extension.
Positions will include weekday, evening and weekend hours. Exact dates and schedules will be negotiated with the successful candidates and are dependent on available funding.
Librarians and Division Heads are members of the SFU Faculty Association. Terms, conditions and benefits of employment are outlined in the Collective Agreement: http://www.sfu.ca/content/dam/sfu/faculty-relations/home/CA.pdf
As this is an entry-level position, the SFU Library gives preference to applications from qualified individuals at the Librarian 1 level (i.e. with less than two years professional experience). SFU Librarian salary scales can be viewed here http://www.sfu.ca/content/dam/sfu/faculty-relations/collectiveagreement/July%201%2C%202017%20Salary%20Scale%20Increases.pdf
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. Simon Fraser University is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from qualified candidates of all genders, including visible minorities, persons of Aboriginal heritage, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ-identified persons.
Under the authority of the University Act, personal information that is required by the University for academic appointment competitions will be collected. For further details see: http://www.sfu.ca/vpacademic/faculty_openings/Collection_Notice.html
To be given assured consideration applications must be submitted by email in one consolidated PDF document with cover letter, curriculum vitae and three references by 9am PDT on January 17th, 2018.
Please specify whether you are applying for the spring and/or summer semesters and include your availability in those semesters with your application to:
Susie Smith Phone: 778-782-4658
Library Management Office Fax: 778-782-3023
W.A.C. Bennett Library
Simon Fraser University