The City of Vancouver Archives has a 1-year temporary full time opening for an Archival Assistant. To apply, please visit the City’s online job system: https://jobs.vancouver.ca/job/Vancouver-Archival-Assistant-I-Brit/451616800/
Job Title: Archival Assistant I
Requisition ID: 6443
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function:
The City of Vancouver Archives, a unit within the City Clerk’s Department, has a temporary one-year vacancy for an Archival Assistant. Reporting to the City Archivist, this position is responsible for para-professional activities related to the data standardization and general inventory components of a multi-year holdings inventory and rehousing project.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
Specific duties, conducted under the supervision of professional archivists or conservators, as appropriate, include: consolidating existing legacy archival metadata, often in analogue or spreadsheet form, into the Archives’
holdings management database; reviewing data while entering to identify inconsistencies and/or duplication; performing quality assurance review of data after upload to database; assigning locations to Archives containers that do not have locations; physical container-by-container inventory of the holdings; assistance with accessioning, arranging and describing archival material within scope of the inventory process and according to archival standards; basic housing and re-housing of holdings, and barcoding of containers.
The position works independently and in project teams with archivists and conservators.
- Completion of Grade 12 supplemented by post-secondary courses in archival studies or equivalent combination of training and experience
- Sound knowledge of conservation and handling issues for archival material in various formats
- Sound knowledge of procedures and terminology related to archival arrangement and description; familiarity with archival descriptive standards is an asset
- Proficiency in office systems software, including word processing and spreadsheet applications and end-user databases
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication and time management skills
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as a member of a team, and to balance independent work with teamwork and cooperation
- Sound analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to lift items up to 40 lbs from shelves up to 7.5 feet high
- Excellent attendance and punctuality
Business Unit/Department: City Clerk’s Office (1060)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: February 2018
Position End Date: February 2019
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-015: $24.81 to $29.16 per hour
Application Close: January 19, 2018
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.