The Vancouver Chinatown Foundation is in the process of building The Chinatown Storytelling Centre at 168 East Pender Street, Vancouver. The Centre is slated to open in late Spring or early Summer of 2018. The facility will have a permanent exhibition space,
which shares the overall story of Chinese in Canada.
The Centre also plans to develop a number of special or temporary exhibitions on Chinese Canadian and Vancouver Chinatown history. We anticipate designing two or more shows per year in space dedicated for temporary exhibitions. These special exhibitions will delve into a particular topic in greater detail and involve text, photography, artifacts and other storytelling vehicles (e.g. video, podcasts, seminars/workshops, etc.). These shows also will be designed to engage communities to share memories, photographs and artifacts related to the story being featured.
The Centre is looking for an experienced contract Collections Programme Developer who will establish all aspects of the archives and artifacts collections database and systems for documentation, preservation, storage, display, digitization, loans, donations and access. Given the community and culturally-based work of The Centre, the candidate must be somebody who can work to foster respect for the spirit, dignity and individuality of members of the Chinatown and Chinese Canadian community.
- The Collections Programme Developer will:
- Work together with the curatorial team to develop collections policies, programs and procedures, and see to their implementation.
- Assess which digital database would be most appropriate for The Centre’s needs.
- Oversee all necessary paperwork for accession, documentation, loan, transfer and copyright of the Centre’s collections.
- Train curatorial team in database input and management.
- Recommend storage conditions, climate controls and pest control issues at The Centre.
- Establish collections and archival system database and infrastructure for sustainable use and management for The Centre.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
A degree or completed post-graduate program or diploma in archival records and management or equivalent and at least 5 years experience in archivist or collections role.
Member of the Archives Association of BC is an asset.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
This is a contractual part-time position of 2-3 days a week for a period of 3 months. Remuneration of $10,000-$15,000 commensurate with experience.
Deadline for applications is FEBRUARY 23rd, 2018.
Please e-mail your cover letter and resume, with subject heading “ COLLECTIONS PROGRAMME DEVELOPER Application ” to: