UBC Library is seeking Student Librarians for the Summer term 1 & 2 (May 2018 to mid-August 2018) to provide virtual reference service via AskAway to students, faculty and staff at post-secondary institutions across BC and the Yukon. The AskAway reference position will give student librarians an opportunity to experience providing reference in a challenging environment using a virtual reference software platform.
AskAway is province-wide service, and is coordinated by the BC Electronic Library Network. The service is staffed by the 31 participating institutions; UBC contributes approximately 37 hours per week, 20 of which are staffed by UBC Student Librarians.
For more information about AskAway, please visit: http://askaway.org/staff/about
The salary for this position is $20.04/hr. plus 4% vacation pay.
- Student Librarians will work 3-9 hours per week from May 2018 to mid-August 2018
- AskAway shifts are scheduled in three hour blocks on weekdays 6-9pm and week-ends 10am-7pm. This position is for weekend AND weekday evening shifts.
- Applicants must be available for 1 full day of AskAway software training and reference training week.
The Student Librarians will:
- Provide virtual reference service to students, faculty and staff at 31 BC/Yukon post-secondary institutions.
- Assist users with resources and services that are available at their home institutions.
- Develop competencies in the areas of: professional advising,; analytical, critical and problem-solving skills; teamwork and collaboration in a virtual platform setting; research reference in a variety of disciplines, reflective practice and reference interviewing skills
Applicants must have completed at least one term in the MLIS and/or MAS program, and must be familiar with the UBC Library system and its online resources and services. Preference will be given to those with Boolean search and reference and/or teaching experience, ideally in an academic setting/public services. Excellent written and oral communication skills, initiative, and ability to work independently are required. Above average search skills and the ability to thrive in a demanding fast-paced setting are essential. Reliability and flexibility in covering shifts are also crucial.
Please email a cover letter in business letter format, resume (with 3 current references), your Summer 2018 Term 1 (May to June) & 2 (July to August) class and schedule including other job commitments, and expected date of graduation as one PDF or Word document and in one attachment to Patricia Foster: firstname.lastname@example.org, by 11:59 pm PST on Sunday March, 18, 2018 (no zipped files please). Only short listed candidates will receive further correspondence
All Student Librarian positions are subject to budgetary approval.
Thank you for your application.