ACQUISITIONS & COLLECTIONS ASSESSMENT LIBRARIAN – Competition Number 18-68
Commencing June 2018, Kwantlen Polytechnic University seeks a 100% Regular Acquisitions and Collections Assessment Librarian. Reporting to the University Librarian, the successful candidate will:
- coordinate monograph, standing orders, and serials ordering, assessment, and deselection;
- provide in-depth analysis and assessment of the KPU Library collections, in collaboration with the eResources Librarian;
- assess and implement new approaches to content acquisitions;
- provide reference, research, and instructional services to students and faculty.
About Kwantlen Polytechnic University
Celebrating over 35 years as an institution, KPU enrolls almost 20,000 students annually. KPU offers a full range of diverse programs including bachelor’s and associate degrees, as well as career, trades, and technology credentials. Its four campus are located in the Metro Vancouver area, in Surrey, Richmond, Langley and Cloverdale. For over a decade, KPU has consistently been named a BC Top Employer.
- Provide leadership for the acquisition, assessment, and deselection of monographs, serials, and standing orders as well as contribute to the overall management of the KPU Library collections.
- The successful candidate will:
- Provide leadership to the Collections Committee, which collaboratively manages and assesses the full spectrum of the KPU Library collections;
- Develop collection and acquisitions related guidelines and procedures in collaboration with liaison librarians and technical services staff;
- Work closely with and provide guidance to liaison librarians and technical services staff on matters related to acquisitions and collection analysis;
- assess the suitability of approval and/or DDA plans for the KPU Library collections and implement as required;
- Maintain good vendor relationships;
- Coordinate library impact assessments for new programs;
- Manage guidelines and workflows for donated materials.
- Provide reference service in all disciplines as a member of a team serving students and faculty in an active teaching and learning environment.
- Work with other librarians and staff on project teams and committees and serve on university committees.
- Develop professional knowledge and skills on a continuing basis.
- Liaison areas may be assigned to this position dependent upon experience and subject background of the successful applicant.
- MLIS or equivalent from an ALA-accredited institution.
- Experience with online ordering systems.
- Experience with budget planning and management.
- Proficiency in collection assessment tools and principles.
- Demonstrated ability to provide in person and chat/virtual reference assistance to students and faculty from a variety of disciplines in an academic library environment.
- Demonstrated skill in planning and delivering instruction in both one-on-one and class environments.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a collegial team environment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and a strong public service focus.
- Ability to work well with a wide variety of students, faculty, staff, and community members of diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to work shifts, including weekends and evenings.
TERMS OF APPOINTMENT:
100% Regular Faculty position beginning in June 2018. Some weekend and evening work will be required.
This position is based at KPU Surrey, but the candidate will be required to travel to other campuses for occasional meetings as well as for reference shifts and liaison work.
Kwantlen Polytechnic University is committed to the principle of equity in employment and offers equal employment opportunities to qualified applicants. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
The successful applicant will be appointed at a level commensurate with his or her experience and qualifications.
Kwantlen Polytechnic University Full Time Regular Faculty Salary Scales can be viewed at:
To be given assured consideration, applications should be submitted via email, quoting competition number 18-68 by April 24, 2018 to email@example.com.