Responsible for organizing, directing, coordinating and supervising daily operations of an integrated Archives and Records Management Services Program; the program ensures the effective and efficient management and security of the City’s information assets and liabilities in all media and formats in accordance with statutory and regulatory requirements, business best practice, and supports the City’s business needs and Corporate strategic goals. Assists the Manager with development of policies, standards and practices as well as strategic planning processes for both ARMS and the Corporation. Appraises information for its business, legal, operational, and historical value, and assists with the development, maintenance, and review of the City’s Records Retention By-law. Prepares recommendations for retention and disposition of Corporate records and information. Supports the design and management of records and information management systems and processes, including business process evaluation and re-engineering, to satisfy Corporate, departmental and ARMS program area needs. Develops and delivers training programs to all City staff pertaining to archives and records management policies and procedures. Develops and administers the City’s archival program and maintains the security and preservation of the Corporation’s long-term records. Directs and supervises a team of ARMS staff as well as transitional resources and consultants as required.
Qualifications and Experience
• Masters Degree in Information Management (Master of Information; Master of Archival Studies; etc.) or suitable equivalent.
• Minimum of five (5) years progressively responsible supervisory experience in the records and information management field, preferably in a municipal environment; with at least three (3) years in planning and policy analysis/development and project management roles.
• Ability to plan, organize, establish goals and priorities, think creatively, implement new ideas, and manage change in a highly technical environment.
• Thorough knowledge of archival science; records management principles; electronic information management systems and associated computer applications; and relevant legislation such as Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, Copyright Act, and Municipal Act.
• Ability to analyze, design, implement, and audit processes for the control of complex information management systems; with focus on ensuring trustworthy electronic recordkeeping systems, digital archiving, and information security. General knowledge of computer systems, network architecture, enterprise-wide and web-based applications, data warehousing, and electronic records preservation strategies.
• Demonstrated experience in business function and records analysis, records classification, appraisal, acquisition, arrangement, and description of all media. Working knowledge of and experience in use of RAD; experience with MARC and EAD as asset. Working knowledge of conservation and preservation techniques and practices.
• Highly developed written and oral communication, problem solving, negotiation, organizational, analytical, and research skills. Ability to write technical policies, procedures and documentation for both technical and non-technical audiences.
• Demonstrated presentation skills to deliver training/information to varied audiences.
• Ability to deal effectively and courteously with both the public and all levels of government officials. Ability and willingness to seek out and foster relationships with various community groups for the purposes of promoting the Archives and acquiring donations.
• Ability to motivate staff and foster a positive team environment.
• Availability to work flexible hours to accommodate committee meetings, public relations activities, etc.
• Ability to lift and remove records storage containers weighing up to 20 kg from heights of up to 4 metres using a personal lift device when necessary.
• Valid Ontario “G” driver’s license and reliable vehicle for use on Corporate business.
Please note that only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The City of Vaughan is committed to diversity and inclusivity in employment and welcomes applications from qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds. The City of Vaughan is also committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
Position details and application instructions appear on the following, website<https://cityofvaughan.njoyn.com/cl4/xweb/Xweb.asp?tbtoken=YlpZR1USQRMGZnB5NidJE1NOBnldByNcb1wjICkRexVdWkUfXzUZcWIDPApSUBBWSz5l&chk=dFlbQBJf&CLID=74542&page=jobdetails&JobID=J0518-0150&brid=78781&lang=1>.