Location: Vancouver, BC
Start Date: As soon as possible
Type: Volunteer Student Archivist
Posting Closes: Upon successful selection of a suitable, qualified candidate
Ecotrust Canada is a federally registered charity. Our vision is of a society where all people are able to enjoy good lives and livelihoods, are culturally grounded, connected to their environment, and working for the collective benefit of both current and future generations. We know that our economy can be structured to achieve these things. Our mission is to design economic alternatives that benefit people in the places they call home. In a world where information is power, EC equips communities with the tools they need to participate fully in the social, economic, and ecological decisions that affect them. We bring our diverse platforms of expertise to bear on community-led projects, large and small. Our work is innovative, entrepreneurial, partnership-based and relentlessly practical. http://ecotrust.ca/
Founded in 1995, Ecotrust Canada has a substantial collection of paper records on site in our Head Office in Vancouver, as well as in off-site storage. The majority of these records have been catalogued but work is required to organize, sort and review the collection, evaluate against a set of criteria and make decisions about what to do with each record. Last summer, we had two Library and Archives volunteers join us to begin this work, and we have made quite a bit of progress.
We are seeking a volunteer student archivist or librarian to assist with continuing to work through the following:
- Reviewing the current system, records management policy, and documentation.
- Updating as necessary, to assist staff on proper searching, filing, retention and disposal procedures, moving forward.
- Organizing the file records into logical program and departmental areas.
- Assessing the archival value of stored and on site materials.
- Making recommendations for digitization processes. If time permits, scanning documents and other assets for electronic archiving, where applicable (i.e. following a search to confirm digital versions exist; and contingent on value determined).
- Experience with organizing, assessing and archiving materials
- Excellent analytical and archival skills
- Some experience with digitization of records
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Creative problem solver and good attention to detail
- Capable of working independently, while being a good team player
- An interest in the work of Ecotrust Canada is an asset
Support and Supervision
The student volunteer will be supported and supervised by Lianne Payne, Operations Manager for Ecotrust Canada. This will include regular feedback and one-on-one work.
Impact at Ecotrust Canada
Given the value our staff team places on our archival material as records of the work that has been completed over the past 20 plus years, the work the student contributes will be deeply appreciated. Any direction and informed, professional guidance the student can offer in ensuring proper handling and records management going forward will have a positive, long-term impact.
We anticipate a minimum of 4-8hr/week commitment for a 4-6 month period will help us advance this work.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com – with Volunteer Student Archivist in the subject line.