Hi there! I’m Jess — a German living in Canada, always with a smile 🙂 and very active. After work, you can find me either bouldering, top rope climbing, running, or working out in the gym. I enjoy the outdoors, hiking and snowshoeing, and will be starting rock climbing this summer!

I received my PhD in Mathematics from the Otto von Guericke University / Max Planck Institute for Dynamics of Complex Technical Systems in Magdeburg, Germany, and was awarded the Otto Hahn Medal of the Max Planck Society.

In summer 2016, I left Germany to start working at the University of British Columbia (UBC) in beautiful Vancouver, Canada. During my first two years, I have done research in Numerical Linear Algebra and taught third year undergraduate courses at the Department of Computer Science. Afterwards, I have worked with UBC’s Development and Alumni Engagement Portfolio’s Events’ team for three months. In mid-October 2018, I returned to UBC’s Department of Computer Science, where I have been working as a Technical Course Coordinator since then.

A passion of mine is coordinating programs and events and supporting the university and non-profit organizations and their members. In January 2019, I attained the Master’s Certificate in Event Management from the International Institute of Event Management and have been awarded the GCPE® Global Certification in Professional Events credentials. Below are some projects I have been involved in.

Congress 2019 at UBC, June 2019

I am volunteering at different UBC events, including Homecoming, conferences, and the Staff & Faculty Sports Day.

Since April 2017, I have been a member of the Vivien Srivastava Fund’s Oversight Committee. We’re working on increasing the participation of women in science through alleviating financial hardships and supporting career-planning events for graduate and postdoctoral researchers in UBC Science.

Team Bear Food at the Terry Fox Run, Sep 2018

As the team captain of our team Bear Food, I participated with hiking friends in the 2018 Terry Fox Run – a national movement to raise money for cancer research. Our team and sponsors contributed $605 to cancer research!

ISSofBC youth, families and friends on their first hike to Lynn Valley, Sep 2018

Last summer, I have become a volunteer with the Immigrant Services Society of BC (ISSofBC) to help immigrants and refugees build new lives in Canada. I have been volunteering as a field trip leader and as an event day assistant. Also, I am assisting with leading hikes – an opportunity that arose from the partnership between ISSofBC and Nature PhotoHikes.

First SLAM Workshop, Mar 2018

In January 2018, I co-founded the career-planning workshop series at UBC called Science Leadership and Management (SLAM) together with Luz Angélica Caudillo Mata and Laura Morillas.

SLAM is made possible with the generous support of the Vivien M. Srivastava Memorial Endowment Fund, the Pacific Institute for the Mathematical Sciences, and the UBC Faculty of Science.

2017-18 Executive Team of the UBC PDA

I was a co-organizer of the 31st Pacific Northwest Numerical Analysis Seminar (PNWNAS), which was held at UBC in October 2018. Also, I was the Event Communications Coordinator of the 10th International Conference on Preconditioning Techniques for Scientific and Industrial Applications, which was held at UBC in summer 2017.

From November 2016 until March 2018, I was the Vice President Social of the UBC Postdoctoral Association (UBC PDA).

I was co-organizing the interdepartmental Scientific Computing, Applied and Industrial Mathematics (SCAIM) seminar series at UBC from September 2016 until April 2018.

Workshop on “Applied Mathematics in Industry” in Summer 2015

During my studies in Magdeburg, Germany, I co-founded the Student Chapter of SIAM Magdeburg in spring 2013 — a local student chapter of the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM) to generate interest in applied mathematics and computational science across the university by organizing research and industry workshops, symposia, and social events. We established the local Nerd Nite series — an event to promote mathematics and science even across the general public.

I was the Secretary of the Chapter until September 2014 and then the President for one year. In 2015, I obtained the SIAM Student Chapter Certificate of Recognition for outstanding service and contributions to the Chapter.

Alumni Day at UBC Homecoming 2018

UBC Staff & Faculty Sports Day 2017

Great Climate Race 2017

Great Climate Race 2016

Header images credits: Nature PhotoHikes
© Jessica Bosch