ED Development

I rely heavily on networking and reading to develop my skills in educational development.

I often read these publications cover to cover:

• Change
  • Chronicle of Higher Education
  • University Affairs

I subscribe to the following listservs and pay attention to most messages:

• POD Network
  • STLHE-IDO
  • ISW Facilitators

As often as possible, I seek co-facilitation opportunities. I learn a lot from colleagues who are more skillful and knowledgeable than I am. When I co-facilitator with a junior colleague, the added responsibilities force me to reflect on and criticizer my own work and approach before I can share them with a colleague. C0-facilitation, like co-teaching, is a great to learn and to share knowledge.

Formally, I shared my experience at the following conferences:

• Chan, J.; Bray, B.; Underhill, C.; Canuto, L.; and Lee, Z. 2011. Journeying the Professional Development Landscape through Interactive Theatre. Educational Technology Users Group Fall Workshop 2011, Richmond, BC.
  • Harlap, Y. and Chan, J.  2010.  TAG Living Lab:  Using interactive theatre to walk the talk of educational equity.  Educational Developers Caucus of the Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education Annual Winter Conference, Kamloops, BC.
  • Chan, J.  2008. Balancing and maximizing the multiple roles of part-time educational developers. Educational Developers Caucus of the Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education Annual Winter Conference.  Richmond, BC.
  • Chan, J., and Cassidy, A. 2008. From “half-empty” to “long waiting-list”:  what to do with fluctuating number of registrants? Educational Developers Caucus of the Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education Annual Winter Conference, Richmond, BC.
  • Iqbal, I.; Johnson, J.; Bonic, S.; Chan, J.; Sipos, Y.; Cassidy, A.; and Poole, G. 2008.  Mentoring graduate students in the educational development profession: conversations with graduate students and ED mentors.  Educational Developers Caucus of the Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education Annual Winter Conference, Richmond, BC.

I pay attention to and experiment with emerging technologies.

• I use UBC Wiki to plan, design and facilitate many workshops, provide documentations and collaborate with colleagues (my wiki contributions). I use a combination of UBC Wiki and course management system to teach (my course wiki).
  • I use WordPress to develop this Educational Development Portfolio as well as my teaching portfolio.

I travelled outside of my comfort zone and learned about Theatre of Oppressed and Theater for Living. I have applied theatric techniques in many workshops.