Something Like a What to Expect

Posted by in Realizations, Res Life, Shenanigans

As I sit here, on my forever squeaky bed, surrounded by a million pieces of papers I need to read for a final tomorrow, it finally hits me that first year of university is almost over. I honestly didn’t think it would past by this fast, and yet here I am, preparing for the last three finals. Avengers: Age of Ultron dawns on me. Summer internships dawn on me. Four month long summer ‘break’ dawns on me. It’s been an unbelievable ride.

Next year, I will no longer be staying on UBC campus. I’ll be waking up at 5AM every morning in an effort to shorten a commute that would otherwise be about three hours long one way. How that’s going to turn out, I don’t know. For now, I just want to list some things that I’ve learnt so far – maybe it’ll come in handy for someone in the future! I remember scouring UBC Blogs a year ago, looking for help for something, I wasn’t really sure what I was looking for – a what to expect guide, I guess, so here’s the best one I can come up with:

1. You’re going to get lost, and that’s okay.

Don’t stress about it. The campus is huge and I still get lost despite being here a year. I found it very helpful to stick to Main Mall during my first couple weeks – there are maps posted all over the place that should help you get orientated. Main Mall is kind of like the backbone of the campus, you should be able to get to most places from there. It might not be the most efficient way, but it helped me get a feel of the place pretty quickly.

People often suggest using Wayfinder to get around, but I always found that website a little more than irritating to use. There’s an UBC app that you can try, I tried it a few times but never really liked it much either. I mostly stick to Google, physical maps or just asking for directions! If you’re completely unfamiliar with the place you’re going, give yourself about half an hour to get to it. Plenty of time if you get lost! Always better to be early than right on time -seriously cuts back on the anxiety, phew!

2. Sorry, but those cramming techniques from high school won’t cut it anymore.

Or at least, this was the harsh reality I had to come to terms with when I got my first Economics midterm back. I failed it, because I thought I knew the material enough to just cram it all the day before. The next time around, I planned out everything a week in advance. So far, about five to seven days ahead has worked best for me. Just a chapter a day, about an hour each, and I saw dramatic improvements in my grades.

I really hate that this works, honest to goodness. I just want to be able to relax and not think about Economics for a whole entire week leading up to the midterm, but it’s just not happening. The same applies to finals too.

3. Be nice to the people at the cafeteria!

They’re the ones scooping you portions of food! Lots of ‘pleases’, ‘thank yous’ and puppy eyes help get you more food. Try to look as hungry as possible. And the people at the cashiers too. There’s a conspiracy that some of them will give more food to the bigger boys, but I’ve yet to actually determine the truth behind this one.

4. Speaking of the caf, don’t buy bottled juice!!

I made this mistake. The bulk juices in to-go-cups are a lot cheaper.

5. And speaking of To-Go stuff…

Get in on that recyclable, re-useable containers program with the cafeteria! I don’t know how it works in Vanier, but in Totem, you can get little cards to trade in for containers to substitute the take-out boxes whenever you want your meals to go. This will save you that 15 cents or so they charge for take-out containers!

6. Best meal plan strategy!

Unless you know you’re going to eat lots and lots of food, I highly recommend switching from the normal food plan to the minimal one! You can top up if you run out, and that way you won’t waste too much money by the end of the year if you end up eating less than you expected.

Of course, the money leftover remains on your card and turns into Flex Dollars so you can use it at certain food locations around campus for the rest of your undergraduate years, but if you’re not so keen on that, the above strategy works best.

7. Go to clubs! And events! 

Coming from an incredibly introverted person, I know that this is really difficult. It’s also down right exhausting, but it’s honestly the best way to meet new people and get a feel for what’s going on around UBC! Join nerd clubs, join them with no shame. There’s going to be a club to fit some of your interests, and then you’ve pretty much got the first step to making a new friend sorted – mutual interest in stuff!

I know sometimes curling up for Netflix and enjoying the peace and quiet sounds so much better, and the thought of dragging yourself out into the rain to make that 20 minute trek across campus to a club event sounds terrible, but it’ll be worth it! Most of the time! Anyway, it’s worth a shot.

8. Your umbrella and your rainboots are your best friends.

It rains more often than not. Get some good waterproof shoes. They don’t have to be branded – nobody really cares. At the end of a hard, long and stupendously wet day, having dry feet will make things feel just a little bit better. And a good umbrella too! There’s an art to angling the umbrella just right so you’re walking into the wind, nothing sucks more than to have it flip inside out, leaving you utterly vulnerable to the ruthless pelting of cold water. Boots, umbrella and a rain jacket are utterly necessary!

9. Remember to check locations when you plan classes!

Trust me, when it’s pouring rain out, you want your classes within near vicinity of each other. Also, you only have about ten minutes (if your prof is kind and actually finishes their lecture in time) to get from Class A to Class B. If you have Class A in Buchanan and Class B in Forestry, then I weep for you. These are at opposite ends of campus. You might make it if you sprint, and if the roads are clear (which they never are in between classes), or if you don’t really care for being a couple minutes late.

Still, do yourself a favour and try not to plan your classes back to back while on polar opposite ends of campus.

10. Your grades will likely fall, friends will be harder to come by, loneliness might strike harder than usual, things might be almost unbearably stressful, but it won’t be the end of the world.

Though it’ll sure as hell feel like it. I assure you, there is a good portion of people who will be experiencing the same things as you. If you feel like it’s really truly unbearable, there are resources on campus for that. Check out SpeakEasy to talk to a peer about anything, there’s on-campus therapy services, there’s faculty specific advising – there will always be people willing to help.

This year has been difficult for me, both academically and socially. It’s tough trying to balance out new friends, old friends, family, school, general well-being and…everything. It will get easier! Just remember to breathe and take things one step at a time. It’s easy to get overwhelmed when thinking about all the things you have to do, but breaking it up into little, easier to swallow pieces will make the anxiety more bearable.

There’s no rush to be successful in the first year! You have three more years to go to really make your experience great (if not just satisfactory). My Art Studies professor told us that the greatest growth we experience is in the time we learn how to walk, and in our first year of university. There’s a lot to get used to, a lot to learn, a lot to change and plenty more room for all that. So deep breath, and take it easy!

To all those just now coming to UBC for their first year – welcome! Try not to stop in the middle of hallways, don’t talk too loud, don’t commit any crimes, don’t throw up everywhere, don’t bug Carter the Coyote and don’t crash cars into staircases. Enjoy your time here in this land of forever construction, mud and rain.

As for me, well, so long first year. You sure as hell went by quick. Everything is a blur, I have yet to see how much I’ve grown as a person, though I can feel that something has changed. Second year…well, I am excited, but amidst all these finals still left to be done…I’d like a short break, please. Seriously, please.