About

54337_807832335668_1988925720_o

I am an assistant professor of English at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada. My current research focuses on the crowds of British and Irish modernism and on modern and contemporary theories of collective identification and action. I also hold more general interests in critical and cultural theory, critical studies in sexuality, literature and mind, literature and environment, and critical university studies. At UBC, I am teaching courses in modern British and Irish literature, modernist studies and general theory, alongside specialized undergraduate and graduate courses in my research fields. In 2017-2018 I served as co-chair of the Critical Studies in Sexuality program with Dr. Janice Stewart.

I received an M.A. (2008)  and Ph.D. (Dec. 2013) in English from the University of California, Santa Barbara, and a B.A. s.c.l. in English from the University of Scranton. In the past, I have taught music and Latin at the secondary level, and have done a fair bit of choral conducting and singing, as well as studying piano and classical guitar.

I can be reached by email at Judith.Paltin [at] ubc.ca.

Twitter: @jpaltin

Header photo: Eugène Atget. Eclipse. 1912. Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York. Wikipedia. Web. 16 Oct. 2014.