Research

My research focuses on how landscapes, glaciers and the people who dwell within them respond to climate change. Some of my current research projects focus on quantifying glacier change in response to warming climate and warming oceans, the landscape and hazards responses to changing glacier dynamics, and the effects of climate change on meltwater resources  and the lived experiences of people in BC, Alaska, Patagonia, Greenland and the Himalayas. I am fascinated with all rates of geomorphic change, particularly the imprints of humans on the landscape and how we co-exist with other natural geomorphic agents such as glaciers and rivers.

Current Research ProjectsIMG_4468

• Physiographic signatures of climate change in the Anthropocene
  • Indigenous and place-based knowledges of landscape change
  • Braiding worldviews and perspectives of climate change in mountains
  • Glacier erosion, ice dynamics and ice-sediment-ocean interactions from source to sink
    shapeimage_2
  • Landscape dynamics, natural hazards and paraglacial landscape relaxation due to glacier shrinkage 
  • Glacier melt runoff and response to climate change in the Himalayas and BC 
  • Climate-change adaptation and resilience in high mountain communities
  • Critical physical geography and reflexivity in science
  • Diversity, equity and inclusion in the geosciences
  • Weaving science and art to address climate change

Here are a couple links to recent talks I have given, where I share the types of conceptual and empirical research I do:

A research talk I gave as part of the Wiley presents Women Advancing River Research seminar series on May 18, 2021

https://youtu.be/UuUix84uppcBraiding knowledges of braided rivers, WARR

A research talk I gave to the global LandscapesLive! seminar series on October 1, 2020

LandscapesLive! Seminar 10/01/2020

A public talk on the cascading effects of climate change on mountains, with the Salt Spring Forum in March 2021:

Salt Spring Forum, March 30, 2021