Recent Posts

Topics

Meta

Cogito Ergo Sum

Posted: November 13th, 2011, by HJDeW

“I shake things up …. therefore I am”

These are the words that James Geary stated at the end of an interesting presentation about metaphor in our lives. I have often relied on metaphor to share ideas, build concepts or provide a means of gaining understanding. This information just adds to my notion of how to be …. all shook up.

Theories

Posted: October 6th, 2011, by HJDeW

In ETEC 512, the focus is on educational learning theories. It has been a challenge to bring theory to practice. After almost thirty three years in education, I thought this was going to be easy. It is anything but.

Here is one short video clip, created with a focus on educational technology, that helped explain and clarify my thinking. http://youtu.be/CaZW15J-Xuc

Reflections in Text and Technology

Posted: September 15th, 2011, by HJDeW

I have tried to tease out some ideas about text and technology for ETEC 540.

Realizing that both text and technology merge into one with this particular RSA Animate mades me want to capture this one.

The message, done in oral, visual and text format, shapes an idea and argument.

The medium, video of hand writing a text and image based message, creates an interesting paradox of how text is used in visual space.

RSA Animate – The Internet in Society: Empowering and Censoring Citizen?.

Image: Salvatore Vuono / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

hand in hand

Hand in Hand

Image: Vlado / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

alphabet letters on a ball

World of Text

Image: tungphoto / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

fabric in a row

Fabric on a Shelf

Web 3.0 – The Semantic Web

Posted: July 14th, 2011, by HJDeW

Tag. You found it. Quickly. Simply. With just a few key words. 

Tagging has become an easy way for others to find you, your information and your ideas. Attaching key words to your article, photo, music or other web contribution will make it easier for others to find. My tag for this post is W3C, tagging, semantic web and personalized web service.

Here is an easy to understand look at the differences from Web 1.0, Web 2.0 and Web 3.0.

http://www.labnol.org/internet/web-3-concepts-explained/8908/

Here is a visual to help link the ideas:

Digital Tatoo

Posted: June 1st, 2011, by HJDeW

Today I wrote about ‘cookies and crumbs’ in my course e-portfolio for MET 565. My course instructor commented to my post with a challenge to investigate a UBC project called the Digital Tatoo. My search found this site: http://digitaltattoo.ubc.ca/ where I found some interesting information and ways to search my personal digital tatoo.

Digital learning – a collection of thoughts and ideas

Posted: April 22nd, 2011, by HJDeW

We shall not cease from exploration

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. T.S. Elliott

To construct learning requires the learner to take time to reflect on ideas, opinions, thoughts and explorations.

A blog can be that place to reflect, to learn. Blogging can be the place to begin and continue explorations. By coming back to the blog, learners can see where they started and where they may return, for the first time.

Leading learner

Posted: April 22nd, 2011, by HJDeW

During the course of the last few months, I have had the pleasure of reading a blog created by a Superintendent in a district in British Columbia. His writing is thought provoking, presents ideas from personal reflections and real-life interactions with students, parents, educators and many others not in education. It is a model for blogging that I think exemplifies how educators can apply this tool to their practice. The blog is titled Culture of Yes written by Chris Kennedy.