Meet the TEAM !

Greetings and Welcome to Group 17’s blog! We will be partnering with the City of Vancouver this term to work on a community kitchen project. Our focus is in the Killarney neighborhood in Vancouver and we will be surveying several community kitchens in that area. Want to find out how we access the efficiency and availability of community kitchens?

Come and Follow us as we embark on our journey!

—————————————————————————————————————–

I’m Roxanne Ho and I’m currently in my 4th year of food market analysis. I have interests in data analysis as well as marketing which is why I chose my major. In my spare time I enjoy baking and trying out different kinds of cuisines.One of the outcomes of our project is doing baseline research on existing kitchens. We will be using data collected from the City of Vancouver’s survey to analyze kitchen conditions and usage of various community kitchens. I’m very excited about this as I would be able to utilize what I have learned this past 4 years regarding market analysis in this project. I hope it gives me a better sense of what I can do for the community with my major.

—————————————————————————————————————–

992775_4917513427823_1361094006_n

Hello I’m Dylan Moxley, a 3rd year applied biology student with a focus in plant and soil science. My passion lies in creating hybrid crops and working on sustainable solutions for food in large cities. Working with community kitchens gives me the opportunity to connect with individuals already working in the neighborhood food security networks. Understanding how food is distributed and what kind of resources it takes to supply the community informs me on how I can better serve the community in the future.

—————————————————————————————————————–

12562819_566434796841960_366978080_o

I am Zishan Guo, and my major is Nutritional Science. My enthusiasm for nutrition is learning nutritional problems that people are concerned nowadays. I am interested in cooking and learning languages. During the community kitchen project, we are able to know the usage of these kitchens and type of programs the kitchens have. Community kitchen is a way for citizens to approach nutritious food. We can recognize which nutrients are not adequate in the food that is provided to people. Based on our findings, I can give some suggestion to improve the balance of diet. I hope my knowledge in nutrition can give an assistance to our project.

—————————————————————————————————————–

12625726_1022219457836569_1388207460_n

Hi my name is Shiela Caberoy and I am in my 3rd year of Nutritional Sciences program. My interests are mainly on international nutrition and nutrition for disease prevention. I enjoy learning food cultures, eating healthy, cooking, baking and hiking. For this term’s project, one of our group’s task is to assess the community kitchens and the kinds of cooking programs they are organizing. I think community kitchens provide a great opportunity for the community to get together to learn and share their love for cooking and food. I am excited to be part of this project and I look forward to see how my knowledge in food nutrition will contribute in improving the condition of these kitchens.

—————————————————————————————————————–

12557023_10156490757965707_1049219198_o

Hello I’m Srdan Milacic, a 3rd year Food, Nutrition and Health student. I am interested in global health and internation nutrition and working on creative solutions for malnutrition in developing countries. When I am not working or studying, I enjoy playing soccer and learning new languages. This terms project which connects us with the community kitchens in the Killarney area will allow group 17 to enrich ourselves in the discrete culture that community kitchens belong to. I look forward to assessing how different kitchens make use of their equipment and what that means for creating delicious and nutritious meals. This is particularly fascinating to me because it will show that even with minimal equipment and resources, healthy food can be made and distributed to the ones in need.

—————————————————————————————————————–