Tips and Tricks for Formatting Your Thesis: Little Things Mean A Lot!
Are you worried about getting your thesis/dissertation into the format required by the Faculty of Graduate Studies? Would you like to know more about how to use the formatting features in Microsoft Word? Research Commons staff will help you with your questions about the nuts and bolts of formatting: tables of contents, page layout, numbering, headings, front matter, and more! As well, find out more about the resources that are available to help you in writing your thesis/dissertation. Graduate students at any stage of the writing process are welcome; some prior knowledge of Microsoft Word will be helpful.
- Wednesday, August 7, 10am-12pm http://elred.library.ubc.ca/libs/dashboard/view/4170
- Monday, August 12 2pm-4pm http://elred.library.ubc.ca/libs/dashboard/view/4171
- Thursday, August 22 10am-12pm (in Woodward) http://elred.library.ubc.ca/libs/dashboard/view/4205
Have specific questions you think would be best answered in a one-on-one session? Email firstname.lastname@example.org for an appointment.
Citation Management Using RefWorks, Zotero, or Mendeley
Need to manage large numbers of references and citations as part of your research, teaching or administrative work? Citation management tools are for you. These tools provide a simple way to store, organize and retrieve your citations in an effective manner, and can also help you in formatting in-text citations and bibliographies in your work.
Sign up for a tool specific hands-on workshop about the core concepts of citation management and detailed instruction for use of either RefWorks, Zotero, or Mendeley.
Are you new to citation management tools entirely, or do you have advanced-user questions? Email email@example.com to set up a one-on-one appointment with one of our citation management experts
Citation Management Using RefWorks:
- Thursday, August 1, 2pm-4pm http://elred.library.ubc.ca/libs/dashboard/view/4199
Citation Management Using Mendeley:
- Tuesday, August 6, 2pm-4pm http://elred.library.ubc.ca/libs/dashboard/view/4197
Citation Management Using Zotero:
- Tuesday, August 13 10am-12pm: http://elred.library.ubc.ca/libs/dashboard/view/4201
Advanced Medline Searching
Conducting a literature or systematic review on a health or medical topic? Dive into the complexities of Medline and learn more about Medical Subject Headings (MeSH), subheadings, keyword searching, limits, and filters with this practical, hands-on workshop.
- Thursday, August 1, 1:30pm-2:30pm http://elred.library.ubc.ca/libs/dashboard/view/4183
Introduction to Medline
If you’re doing health science research you need to know how to search in Medline, the premier database for the health sciences. This workshop provides a broad introduction to Medline, including what content is included, the difference between Medline, Pubmed, and OvidSP, and searching using keywords and subject headings (MeSH). The format will Include both a short lecture and time for hands-on practice.
- Thursday, August 8, 1pm-2pm http://elred.library.ubc.ca/libs/dashboard/view/4203