UBC Okanagan Library invites applications from innovative, enthusiastic, service-oriented librarians for a term position as a Learning Services Librarian.
Reporting to the Chief Librarian, UBC Okanagan Library, the Learning Services Librarian provides reference service, delivers instructional programs and contributes to collection development. The Learning Services Librarian will be assigned projects at the discretion of the Chief Librarian. The Learning Services Librarian will contribute to the overall planning for library services and spaces.
A detailed job description can be viewed online (Word doc).
UBC Okanagan is a campus of the University of British Columbia situated in Kelowna, about 400km east of Vancouver in the heart of the Okanagan Valley. UBC Okanagan is an intimate learning environment with an excellent library infrastructure. Check out the campus website for more information.
Currently, there are approximately 8,000 UBC Okanagan undergraduate and graduate students and 350 faculty. Administratively, UBC Okanagan Library reports to the Provost and Vice Principal. Additionally, UBC Okanagan Library’s collections are integrated with UBC Library and library staff contributes to activities of the UBC Library.
- An ALA accredited MLIS or equivalent;
- Knowledge of library systems and applications;
- Knowledge of reference and instructional methodologies;
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills;
- Excellent written and oral communications skills;
- Ability to perform effectively independently and in collaboration with others.
Terms of Appointment
This is a fixed term appointment until August 31, 2012. Librarians are members of the University of British Columbia Faculty Association and the terms and conditions of appointment are governed by collective agreement.
Salary will be commensurate with experience and academic/professional qualifications.
This position will be of interest to new graduates seeking professional academic library experience.
Applications for this exciting fixed term opportunity are to be submitted by e-mail in one consolidated file (PDF or Microsoft Word format) and will include:
- a letter of application, including a statement of citizenship/immigration status, indicating the candidate’s education, training, and work experience in the areas listed above;
- a detailed and current curriculum vitae; and
- the names of three referees with their email addresses.
To ensure full consideration, complete applications are to be submitted by 5:00 pm PST on December 31, 2011 to:
LS Administrator, UBC Okanagan Library
University of British Columbia Okanagan
3333 University Way
Kelowna, BC V1V 1V7
Or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
UBC hires on the basis of merit and is committed to employment equity. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply. However, Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada will be given priority.