April 9th, 2014 by corinne2 | Comments Off on eDuke Ebook Link Issue – UPDATED
The eDuke Ebook linking issue has been fixed. Please continue to submit tickets to the Eresource & Access unit if you encounter any issues:
Some eDuke ebooks are linking to DOI error messages because they are not yet published on the eDuke site. We are in contact with Duke University Press to fix the problem and will soon update our eDuke holdings to reflect only those ebooks that are accessible.
Thank you for your patience.
March 7th, 2014 by csylka | Comments Off on New in the Lam Library: International Women’s Day 2014
Celebrated annually on March 8th, the official theme for this year’s International Women’s Day is “Equality for women is progress for all” (United Nations). The following is a selection of recently published online books acquired by the library which explore women’s achievements in business, entrepreneurship and leadership:
- Female entrepreneurship and the new venture creation: an international overview by Dafna Kariv explores ways in which women approach the entrepreneurial enterprise, creates a theoretical framework for new venture creation, and includes a series of international case studies.
- Women entrepreneurs: inspiring stories from emerging economies and developing countries edited by Mauro Guillén is a collection of over twenty cases drawn from a range of industries and countries that explore the process by which women become entrepreneurs.
- Women and entrepreneurship : female durability, persistence and intuition at work by Beatrice E. Avolio Alecchi and Mirjana Radović-Marković focuses on emerging forms of entrepreneurship in developing economies.
- Womenpreneurs: 21st century success strategies by Dorothy Perrin Moore examines the changing work environment, as well as career strategies for women and female entrepreneurship.
- Women and the new business leadership by Peninah Thomson and Tom Lloyd explores how gender diversity in corporate boards can play in the reform of corporate governance systems.
- Leadership, gender, and organization edited by Patricia H. Werhane and Mollie Painter-Morland offers alternative paradigms for thinking about leadership and gender in organizations, using literature in systems thinking, systemic leadership, and gender theory.
- Dare: straight talk on confidence, courage, and career for women in charge by Becky Blalock includes advice and mentoring lessons from top women business leaders.
To access any of these books, click onto the book title, then click onto the orange “online access” button on the right hand side of the screen.
Drop by the David Lam Library to find more online and print books in these areas.
February 5th, 2014 by madgett | Comments Off on Knovel eBooks: Wiley Titles Soon To Go
The ebook aggregator Knovel is pulling all its Wiley-Blackwell titles at the end of March. They had pulled access earlier, but restored it temporarily.
The reason behind the pulling is that the agreement between Wiley and Knovel was not renewed for 2014. This is a decision between these two companies: the publisher Wiley and the platform Knovel.
February 4th, 2014 by madgett | Comments Off on Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th Edition => Renewal Problem
Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th Edition (or as the cool kids call it, DSM -V), is unavailable via PsychiatryOnline. The subscription has expired and there are problems setting up a renewal.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
June 11th, 2013 by madgett | Comments Off on Harvard eBooks Now Available!
Over 400 Harvard University Press ebooks (almost all from 2011, 2012 or 2013) are now available via De Gruyter. In a few weeks, you should be able to find these titles within Summon and the UBC Library Catalogue.
For now, feel free to browse the Harvard Titles here. NOTE: Some titles are not yet published and are marked as slated to be published later this year.
June 4th, 2013 by madgett | Comments Off on RefWorks: Problem Adding Wiley Citations
The Wiley Online Library is experiencing problems exporting citations to RefWorks. To get around this, please try the following:
*In Wiley Online Library:*
- 1. Perform your search.
- 2. Click the boxes beside the references you wish to export.
- 3. Select *Export Citation* at the top of the search results.
- 4. A new window will open. Using the drop-down menu beside Format, select *Plain Text* and select whether you would like just the Citation or the Citation & Abstract beside Export Type.
- 5. Click *Submit*.
- 6. A new window will open prompting you to save the file to your computer.
*In your RefWorks account:*
- 1. Go to *References ? Import*.
- 2. Select *RIS Format* as your Import Filter/Data Source and *Multiple Databases* as your Database.
- 3. Click *Browse*.
- 4. Find the .txt file you saved to your computer in Step 6 above and upload it.
- 5. Click *Import* to import your references into RefWorks.
April 4th, 2013 by madgett | Comments Off on Updated Resource: SAGE Reference Online 2012 Encyclopedia Collection
UBC Library has purchased updates to the SAGE Reference Online Encyclopedia collection: the 2012 collection (and the 2013 collection, coming soon).
Some titles in the 2012 collection include:
All titles should be findable in Summon next week.
April 3rd, 2013 by madgett | Comments Off on MyiLibrary: Watch for the Locked eBook Warning
MyiLibrary has set a limit on how fast you can flip pages in order to protect entire ebooks from being downloaded by machine. If you happen to be flipping through an ebook (and you have to be flipping mighty quickly) and see this message pop up:
…please fill in the captcha and prove you are human. One an ebook is locked, it is locked for everyone for 24 hours… and that’s no fun at all!