First Day Back… Bam!

Well here I am, first day back a la UBC. Yikes, I can’t believe Term 2 has started already! I am going into this term with confidence and determination… but we shall see how long that lasts!

Today was a long day (I seriously cannot remember my days feeling this long last term) and as each course went by it seemed to me like my workload just kept piling up and up. Way more courses have in class weekly quizzes in a couple of class, as well a weekly online pre-reading tests for 4/5 classes, nine midterms once again ( I have a horrible looking weekend where I have 4 midterms in just as many days). On a more positive note I like most of my profs and I guess the many quizzes e.t.c will force me to stay on top of my course load. How wonderful…

Also the most embarrassing thing that I have done in class happened to me today (far more embarrassing than face planting off my seat in ASTU, if that is possible):

In CPSC 121 my prof was talking about swapping people and calculating the maximum number of swaps required to put something in order… Anyways, somehow Physics was still in my mind, and all I could think of was factorials. I felt like I knew this stuff and was  weirdly excited that I knew something for once. We figured out that it would require 5 4 3 2 and 1 swaps… So when the instructor asked the entire class for the total number of swaps required I was at the ready (thinking 120… and then for some reason dividing by two). Sitting right in the front of the class I enthusiastically shouted out: “60!”. The instructor looked at me and said, “The answer is 10, 5+4+3+2+1” and I started to laugh. I couldn’t stop myself… It was hilarious. I am pretty sure everyone in that class got the impression that I cannot add at all. Pretty soon the whole class was laughing and I just wouldn’t stop! I am not the worst person at Math, which made things even funnier!  I think will be labeled as the dumb blonde in that class for the rest of the time… not exactly what I was going for.
To make matters even more awkward, after class I was unlocking my bike when someone I recognized came up to me. I couldn’t quite place his face although I did remember who he was.
“So, how did Math 100 end up working out for you” he asked.
My mind was racing, he must have been in my Math class, but I didn’t think so.
“I was your Math TA for that course”, aha, how embarrassing, I finally placed his face!
Blushing I told him that it actually worked out ok, but by the look on his face I’m not certain I convinced him. =P Sometimes we make mistakes too bad mine had to be in a lecture theatre of two hundred people on the first day back!

All in all, a pretty funny way to end the day. Hope your everyone else is having a good start to the new year!

1 thought on “First Day Back… Bam!