Things I Love Thursday

Genevieve introduced me to this particular kind of Thursday loving back when we were both in the UBC First-Year Blog Squad. Though I never did it on my previous UBC blog, I did post my happy things in life (on Wednesdays) in my personal notes.

But I feel like following the crowd now, so Thursdays it will be from now on!

Fantastic things going on in my life right now:

Our dryer is fixed. It broke a couple of nights ago just when I was doing some emergency laundry. I’m very proud of myself for my relatively small panic, and for the way I artfully hung most of my clothes on the single tiny drying rack we own. It got me thinking that maybe here’s a way for me to cut down on my massive carbon footprint. I’m very glad I have the dryer back if I do want to use it, though.

Yuna Ito did a cover of ‘I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing’, which of course had me listening to the original by Aerosmith and reflecting, once again, what an amazing song this is.

Making mac and cheese from scratch. I had a slab of Gruyere cheese I grated up and melted, then baked with my macaroni. Sure it’s a lot more time-consuming than Kraft, but it is so good!

Half of my books for one class arrived from Amazon. I haven’t ripped it apart yet, but I am so excited to nerd it up and hopefully be done with my readings before school starts. I’m really looking forward to my classes this year!

Speaking of reading, I’m really pleased with myself for picking up books for pleasure again. At the moment I’m re-reading A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (one of my favourites), just finished re-reading Mary Oliver’s Dream Work (another favourite) and am starting on Linda Hogan’s Seeing Through the Sun. Also decided to pick up Canada’s First Nations by Olive Patricia Dickinson from the beginning, as I never finished it the first time I tried it.

Finding the perfect present for a friend. I forgot what a wonderful feeling it is to give someone exactly what they wanted and never expected—in this case, a copy of the Mr Nobody DVD that’s only available in France or Belgium. The headache I got from trying to remember my three years’ of long-ago French was worth my friend’s joy and amazement when she got it. I can’t wait to come up with the next perfect thing to give someone else.

Sunshine and blue skies! I’ve been out on every one of my lunch breaks on the days I’m working, in my attempt to soak up the summer light before the rain and grey skies set in.

Lightning just flashed and thunder just rolled. Are we about to have a storm? I LOVE STORMS. Rain so rarely pours itself out here; it just drizzles. Tonight is going to be a-ma-zing. (Also, I sleep remarkably well when it rains at night.)

Saw the Big Dipper for the first time last night, from the stairs to my front door. It was fantastic—I just stepped out, and there it was before my eyes. (My brother’s friend had to point it out to me, because I didn’t know how to look for it, but now I know and will remember!)

Also: looking at the mountains and ocean everyday on my way to work; the new ability to call people’s mobile phones within Canada and the US for free through Gmail; getting work assignments from my second part-time; making beautiful plans for this coming weekend; having lunch to bring to work tomorrow for the first time this summer(!); discovering takoyaki at Donburi Ya on Robson and Jervis; turning my music up when I’m home alone and singing at the top of my lungs; getting a text from a beloved friend in Australia in the middle of the night; actually going to bed early instead of just saying I will; the fresh, cool sensation of the morning when it’s 8 AM and there still aren’t too many cars on the road; getting a go-kart deal through GroupOn and having a means of fulfilling one of my Day Zero goals; doing chores that have been piling up and getting rid of them; and getting phone calls from people who love me.