I certainly got my Wordsworth.

Romanticism, a word that is heavily being attributed to this work. When I hear the word I envision the Wanderer Above the Sea Of Fog or the works of the Johann Strauss II. I am not quite sure if this is supposed to be really the origins of the Romanticists, however I would not be taken by surprised.

Perhaps these works like many others were seen by their makers as avante-garde in their times. The same idea taken in from the world of paintings and portraiture may be applied in some sense what is written down.

Despite the very elite community of book writing in England stemming from the Restoration Era with the return of Charles II to the throne, note to all political science fanatics, was also marked with the creation of Locke’s Two Treatises of Government. This era and onwards would make England and that of English writing among the most tolerant and liberal in western civilization.

Certainly on a tangent, but just how the art world reacted from the transition of Realism to Impressionism, the sense of the changing world of literature can be seen through this book.

When in doubt… Hobbes.

God giving the Covenant to Hobbes

Is your realm in chaos? Yes, then I have some news for you! Maybe this testimonial is familiar: being “Locke’d” to a bad contract or fallen to a Rous-seau that it serve the general will no matter the form of your affliction, our good friend Thomas Hobbes has the answer. At first, absolutism may sound like a ludicrous form of government, especially now when one values the ideals of a libertarian code of rights and freedoms that are inviolable etc. Hobbes looks at it as a burden if all that there is in the world is chaos and the violation of our rights, why have them? All we need is our lives is it not? When in doubt with civil rights choose Hobbes and feel good with the fact you will live, and even better without the burden of rights! Exciting isn’t it? Social Contract? Just another thing to be broken, Hobbes says that people give up rights for protection and order. All in the name of public safety (Robespierre anyone?) will all other rights except for our natural right to life will be revoked. Which certainly isn’t a bad thing, Hobbes says that they were never really natural. Finally Hobbes tries to make it clear (posthumously) that if society were to opt to go with shared sovereignty. For in representational or full democracies, there are always the dissenters who criticise the leader (mind you, that the people placed them there in the first place). Though these days, we have shed the sovereign cloak of indivisibility and opted for constitutionalism, which works beautifully. However, maybe someday when some catastrophic event were to send society back into a state of nature, I hope we all read up on Hobbes.

Tempest & Tempus

The word “tempest” sounds very close to the Latin word “tempus” which is time,  linguistic study shows that that word did originate from “tempus” in medieval Latin for weather. The work by William Shakespeare is certainly a great work of many times, not only could it be interpreted as a “exeunt” way (Pun*) to exit the stage (yet another joke), but it can also be used as a reflection on the changing times and also how things change with time. There are dozens of ways the work has been used to address issues in the contemporary world especially on equality and human rights and such, however not as common do we hear on the news of some former leader stranded on an island plotting revenge. What we can learn most about time from the Tempest, is that all storms will die out, and as in the play, time itself fades the storm in Prospero’s head and finally reconciles with the entire event by being restored to his dukedom.

Sailing The Ship of State

I could very much use this post to promote The Empire of Celestria and my other hobbies, but I shall not, but from my own understanding of Antigone is that Antigone and Kreon are jousting in a ideological battleground. On one side of the field, Antigone is the knight (alluring to Kierkegaard) of the Gods and also on familial loyalty and juxtaposed against her is the state himself, Kreon, King of Thebes, who stands for himself (Thebes).

The two are at the extremes of their argument, and both dismiss their close relatives for their questionable support. Much of the focus is put on understanding the perhaps Sophocles’ anachronistic characterization of Antigone, and much is lost on trying to understand Kreon. Just as how many of our contemporary politicians have been found to contradict their own previous statements and lose face at the mercy of the media.

Kreon stands very confident with his edict, and is unbending and refuses to concede as that would in his words make Antigone the king. Would there be consequences if Kreon revoked the edict earlier perhaps? I doubt it, in fact if the tragedy were not as it was, Kreon may have could have had the better ending if he took his law back before something immense was cursed upon Thebes as the prayers and offerings to Olympus were rejected.

Kreon is up to his neck in his own hubris, even if the population found out that the King was being using his powers arbitraily for no good use (as many tyrants do (the word tyrant actually comes from the greek word tyrannos, which is the name for the ruler of the polis)), one would suppose that they could not do much to usurp Kreon; as Kreon controls the army, his own heir will or has been disowned, Antigone is Hades-bent on becoming Really-gone, and Ismene, well she does not matter much in politics anyway.

Kreon however, much like a over dramatic philosopher that we all have heard of, will defend his words if it be the last thing he does, but Kreon bends in the end, but perhaps the ship may have been already dismasted. In short, Kreon could have crawled out like a crooked politician and buried it under the rug, but instead he is blasting “Turn down for what?” and is about to face the music.

Plato’s Republic: Book IV

Just a few P’s that I have the privilege to point out: Purple, Property, Protection, and Principle. All part of Socrates’s select sophisticated sample of a stellar society. The fourth book of the Republic deals with the matter of deciding what virtue best embodies the ideas of the classes, of which he has 4: Wisdom, Courage, Moderation and Justice.

Wisdom, is obviously attributed to the rulers, for it is through that virtue in which the entire city shall reflect such values. Wisdom will reflect on the city through the rulers.

Courage is the virtue for the Auxiliaries, there duty is to defend the city, and fight for it, and it is the Auxiliaries alone who bear such courage. As it would be useless for a Producer or a Ruler to be courageous.

Moderation not so much as great as sounding as the former, is best described an acceptance of the city itself. Meaning the Producers, who must remain subservient under this entire hierarchy.

Lastly, there is Justice, which has already seen its fair share of appearances in this entire book. Justice is a virtue that embodies all three, and is the understanding that each shall have their own purpose and virtue within the city, and for one to accept and to mind their own business for lack of a better term.

Socrates refers back to the individual, just as how the city has its three divisions, so does the soul. The rational part that carries out the calculations, the irrational which is the source of desires and lust, and then the spirit, which keeps the appetites in check (does not apply to food).

For this all to work together, the rational part would rule over the spirit and the irrational, with the help of the spirit should be an easier task. In the exact same way in which the city shall be ruled over by a just man, and therefore make the city, a just city.

Nostalgia

Odysseus was longing to return home to his wife, Penelope. Through nymphs, Calypso, Helios, the Sirens, and a small army of suitors and many others stand between him and his wife. Nothing defines the Odysseus more than his ingenuity as well as his eloquence with words, but when enraged, Odysseus can show that at times he can show self-restraint.

Nostalgia, a word that resonated through the lecture today is certainly a powerful feeling for Odysseus. I would not even begin to imagine how it would feel to be away from one’s wife and home for twenty years, during the summer, I was wrought with homesickness after being away for two months, nowhere as close to 240 of them!

I share a fondness with our guest lecturer today, that of the great war poems, especially that of Odysseus, but not of the same level of passion. When hearing the lecture I was reminded of a computer game I played four years ago, called Tradewinds: Odyssey. The game involved sailing across the Aegean Sea and within the game, I was able to sail around and follow the travels of Odysseus and help him return to Ithaca.

In a way that memory can be seen as a way of linking up myself from back when I was finishing Seventh grade to where I am now. After playing the game for many months, I gained much interest in Greek and other classical civilizations, and continue to pursue my passion for history. That same passion brought me to graduate a year ahead my peers, and bring me closer to my dream of teaching it as a professor someday. It is passion and nostalgia that links me to Toph Marshall, as well as Odysseus himself.

We are most amused.

His Imperial Majesty The Emperor of Celestria most graciously welcomes you to His blog,

dropping some formalities aside, this is our blog, and we may tend to refer to ourselves as we as fitting for a monarch. We will be able to explain further about the Empire and our interests in future posts.

His Imperial Majesty highly regards the arts and aspires to be a patron and man of the arts, and His main hobbies include a wide array of activities related to History as well as that of naval or maritime theme.

His Imperial Majesty has just returned from a weekend of leadership development and is currently in dispose with all his available resources put towards completing a certain paper for Monday and will be presented on Tuesday.