Multiliteracies in ELA Classrooms

Communication

September 12th, 2012 · 5 Comments

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22936119@N03/5414826575/

When it comes to images, the element of esthetics is potent. In this photo, I was struck by the color scheme (contrasting red on grey), the composition, parallelism, scale. The initial esthetic impulse then propelled me into a closer dialogue with the structures represented in the image and their relation to the title “Communication”. What a transformation communication has undergone over recent decades. The phone booth and the mailbox that stand out against the backdrop evoke a sense of nostalgia, a mode of communication that belongs to yesteryear. They also evoke a sense of intimacy that is sometimes difficult to forge in today’s technological web of mass media communications. Today, we have the marvelous opportunity to share knowledge, thoughts, and feelings instantly on a public platform. This can be to our benefit or detriment. The Internet is remarkable for its ability to allow us to share knowledge and to communicate it to a vast audience. But what of communicating with one another, with individuals? In the instruments displayed in this image, one’s thoughts/words (vocal or written) enter an enclosed space and are designated for a single recipient, in sharp contrast with our present day public pronouncements on social media sites, where we are often connected but not connecting.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m no social media prude. I spend far too much time being updated on what my “friends” ate for breakfast.  I guess there’s just something about this “old school” image that appeals to my aspiration for intimacy and simplicity.

And I love the red! I like that the idea of communication (of relating to others) is boldly highlighted and underscored.

Of course I eagerly look forward to learning how incorporate the vast opportunities inherent in new technologies in the classroom

Tags: Introductions

5 responses so far ↓

• kairosman // Sep 12th 2012 at 6:43 pm

Yeah I’m nostalgic as well lately about my childhood and constantly struggle with the loss of intimacy – perhaps though I am simply not well versed enough in social media to comprehend how it can be used to create intimacy. Mostly it feels as you say that “we are often connected but not connecting”. Online communities seem to work for kids however, which as i said leads me to think it’s my problem …

• ritashahi // Sep 12th 2012 at 6:46 pm

I love the image of a telephone as representing communication. Now that I think about it, with the exception of cellphones, how many other tools of communication can be symbolized in such a simple way? Communication has become so vast and complex that a computer, which can be used for communication through social media, video conferencing, and other tasks unrelated to person-to-person (not face-to-face) communication cannot capture the same meaning. An image or symbol of a computer doesn’t convey the same meaning as a telephone, a device created for one function.

• lwchan // Sep 12th 2012 at 6:52 pm

I’m currently addicted to a song by Arcade Fire called “We Used to Wait”. If I may highlight some lyrics:
    It seems strange / How we used to wait for letters to arrive / But what’s stranger still / Is how something so small can keep you alive.

This image really brings the lyrics of that song to mind and it leaves me feeling sentimental and lamenting.

• dinouye // Sep 12th 2012 at 6:59 pm

I love those lyrics. I’m gonna find the song. I remember penning letters on paper to my now husband/then boyfriend when we were living long distance. I remember the anticipation and excitement of receiving (and sending) mail. And the connectedness that I felt. I think there is something about writing on paper (though arguably in email also) that forces you to take the time to really sit with your recipient mentally, emotionally, and formulate your thoughts and feelings. There is a closeness in the process of writing and reading/receiving.

• kiranheer // Sep 12th 2012 at 7:00 pm

You picture caught my attention because for a moment I thought it was the telephone booth from Harry Potter that takes the characters to Diagon Alley – wow, I am such a geek! 😛