Posted by: | 17th Mar, 2014

Sonnet C20

by Tanjot Singh

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

I love thee to the depth of the ocean,

On my rough heart you are soothing lotion.

When your lights shine, they feel like the sun’s rays.

I love thy seats and thy comforting heat

That envelope me so entirely.

Thy tunes play in my mind eternally.

Your bus drivers, my soul they do complete.

I love thee like a raccoon does garbage.

For you in Marine, I will always wait.

Through junk yards thy parts I would salvage.

My nervousness for midterms you placate.

You make all other busses seem savage.

C20, you beauty, you are so great.

(Based on Sonnet 43 by Elizabeth Barret Browning)

Welcome back MD residents!

I hope everyone had a great Christmas break and is looking forward to another great year in 2014!

Every January, many of us resolve to better ourselves in some way. Some of us say that we need to travel more, read more books, use our smart phones less, drink less alcohol, or even try an extreme sport. Yes, you got it! We’re talking about New Year’s resolutions!

New Year’s resolutions are a bit like babies: They’re fun to make but extremely difficult to maintain!

One of the most popular New Year’s resolutions is losing those extra pounds. Try not to be discouraged if weight loss takes time. Effective, long-lasting weight loss involves not only diet and exercise, but changing your lifestyle. Choosing a realistic weight loss goal is just the first step in working towards your ideal weight. Since I love health promotion, we will focus on some of the most common mistakes people make when trying to lose weight.

1 – Not Having a Goal

Starting the year by saying “I need to lose weight” is not a goal, it’s a wish.

SMART is an acronym that will help you when setting your weight loss goal.

S – Specific:  You must identify exactly what you want to accomplish by stating the who, what, where,     when, and why.

M – Measurable: In order to track your progress, goals must be quantifiable.

A – Attainable: It is important to evaluate your situation and recognize which goals are realistic.

R – Relevant: Is this goal relevant to your life and to the “big picture”? Good questions to ask yourself are: does it seem worthwhile? Does this match my needs? Is now the right time for it?

T- Time Related: Every goal needs a date associated with it. A goal without a date is just a dream.

Write them down: This is critical. There is a huge power in writing your goals down even if you never develop an action plan. Also, it has been shown that by sharing your goals with others, it strongly improves your commitment, so make it public!

2 – Eating too little

One of the unhealthiest mistakes you can make when trying to lose weight is eating too little. A lot of people will assume that the less you eat, the faster you will lose weight. Although it’s a fact that you must consume fewer calories, you should still eat the recommended calorie intake for your lifestyle (your calorie range is based on how much exercise you are doing, gender, age, your current weight, etc). But if you’re not getting enough good calories, your metabolism will slow down and will therefore make it harder to lose weight. This is called “starvation mode” because your body thinks it is experiencing a famine, and begins holding onto every calorie you ingest, making weight loss much more difficult.

3 – Faster is Better

Another mistake dieters make is having unrealistic weight loss expectations and wanting to lose weight too quickly. A great diet and exercise program is set up to help you safely lose between one to three pounds per week. Studies show that individuals who rapidly lose weight are more likely to gain it back. So if you’ve lost a few pounds this month—excellent! Don’t discount that just because you see someone on T.V. losing 15 pounds in two weeks. Those that lose weight too quickly, may in fact be losing muscle mass as well, which isn’t the healthy way to go.

4 – Relying Just on Cardio

Although cardio is a great way to “burn calories”, it is not the only one. In fact, the best way to burn calories and lose weight is to find an activity that you really enjoy and that you won’t be bored after the first couple weeks. There are many other alternatives to live an active lifestyle.  It is also beneficial to do a variety of things throughout the program. For example, you can alternate a program with cardio days and weight training days. Maybe play a sport that you enjoy, go to a zumba class, or even to a yoga class. Always doing different things will help you stay motivated and work on the five components of fitness – cardiovascular endurance, muscle strength, muscle endurance, flexibility, and body composition.

5 – Trusting Food Labels

Terms like healthy, low-fat, whole grain, all-natural, vegan, and organic are just some of the words that marketers put on their manufactured food products. They want to convince you that these foods are healthy and that it will lead to weight loss, but it’s not always true.

Instead, try to eat mostly label free foods such as fruits, vegetables, fish, eggs, meat, and grain products. These might seem obvious healthy choices, but it can be very hard to change habits. Choose a plan that makes sense to you and follow it. It is usually recommended to have a diet consisting of about 50 – 60 % carbohydrates, 20 – 25 % proteins, and 20 – 25 % fats (unsaturated fats over saturated or transfats).

Hopefully these tips will help you avoid many of the common pitfalls dieters face and help you keep going with your weight loss new year’s resolution. Just remember that the combination of a healthy diet + exercise is the preferred approach to optimal weight loss.

Although I could keep on going forever, this blog post is becoming too lengthy. If you ever need help designing any type of fitness program, feel free to contact me. I would be happy to help you and guide you in the right direction.

To those that don’t need to burn those extra calories, I still hope to see you around the gym!

Remember: If you can’t find the time to live healthy now, you will soon need to find time for illness.

Cheers,

Bruno

Posted by: | 17th Jan, 2014

Grad School

Hi there! It’s Winnie, here, your RA from MD1! Here’s the quick and dirty to Academese in grad school according to insiders (AKA grad students who cobbled together a book): a 3 part “play.”

Act 1: Learn to participate
Act 2: The mentor-mentee relationship
Act 3: Learning is situated (that is academese for coffee breaks matter)

Act 1

Learning to participate in grad school is difficult for … well, everyone. It’s not like a local/domestic student has it any easier than a international student; broadly speaking. We all need to re-learn how to participate in conversations and learn the lingo; we all try to covering up ignorance (i.e. what do I cite, what do these big words mean?!!). Read more about the imposter syndrome herehere, and here. But wait, it gets more complicated. When we move to a new grad program at a new school (barring those who never leave their undergrad institution and essentially spend 10+ years all in one place, those lucky dogs), we have to re-learn how to participate in the field’s sociopolitical networks (this is where going to conferences is really handy in trying to figure out who like who and who researches what). To add to that, you can also consider the faculty-student relationship, more on that in Act 2. In conclusion, learning to participate in the academic community is a continual process AKA one never reaches complete acculturation. However, in spite of all this, take heart! Do not be afraid to find your own voice, speak openly, and be honest about your limits. After all, we are all human!

Act 2

Surprise (or not?) Mentoring is a long term relationship (LTR), especially in grad school; in doctoral programs these mentor/mentee relationships can become 4+ year relationships! One great thing about having a mentor (i.e. someone whom you admire, or at least whose work you admire) is the opportunity to work on projects or research that you are both engaged in. From him/her, you can “pick up the tricks of the trade.” True, you might find your advisor intimidating, but do not be afraid to identify and NEGOTIATE (this is a very important word/concept) appropriate tasks (AKA if you are picking up their morning coffee and afternoon dry cleaning, big red bells should be going off. these tasks are not helping either of your academic progress). In the midst of negotiations, recognize that you have a lot to learn from your advisor and be flexible when they have you “suggestions” that might be hard to swallow; but also recognize they are not the be all and end all; advisors have specialties. As a grad student you are taking a few classes with a few experts, so you might have something to bring to the LTR too! Do note, some folks might expect their advisor to be all up in their personal lives – this may or may not be the case, but do NOT be offended if they do not know the name of your first pet goldfish.

Act 3

Grad school, the whole point of it really, is to be in a community of learning. One person simply cannot survive grad school on their own. To be sure, an identity crisis WILL happen in your first year and your self-image will be lowered due to an inability to perform up to standards (i.e. adjusting to English if it is a foreign language, adjusting to ACADEMESE, adjusting to culture (in every sense of this word). Sometimes, life will feel so isolating and you may think you lack goals or guidance. This is where a support networks is CRUCIAL. A support network can take many forms: an academic support network, study groups, your grad program’s administrator, more advanced [doctoral] students. But remember, grad school is a place for you to be an apprentice, you are learning the tools of the trade, not being spoon fed or given the answer. The ability to leverage and navigate and develop meaningful relationships in grad school is all part of the academic apprenticeship process. In the end, your parents and spouse, supervisor/advisor, and friends will play bigger roles than you’d like to imagine, but they matter, a lot. Don’t forget them.

As this holiday season drew to a close, I personally realize how these relationships have sustained me through some awkward life moments. Even though they only have a general vague idea of what I study, I am grateful for everything!

Posted by: | 9th Dec, 2013

Gratitude

by Vanessa de Waal

In the game of school, negativity is not Noble.

I want you to just take a minute and assess whether the creases at the edges at the end of your mouth are pointed upward or downward. How does your forehead feel? Is your forehead wrinkles due to your creased eyebrow muscles?

Often, we can’t accurately answer the all to common passerby question of “how are you?”.

I’m hear to tell you that if the genuine answer is not something along the lines of fantastic, something is wrong. And it needs to be addressed immediately.

Of course, it is both acceptable and expected that exams at this beautiful university are hard and you should feel suboptimal at best during them. But what you may not know is that you are forgoing a key evolutionary advantage by being happy with being unhappy. Let’s talk a bit about emotional contagion and positive affectivity. By smiling at someone, you put help them attain a positive state of mind. The way this works is typically, is they will smile back at you and that reciprocity also helps you feel positive. Talk about two-fold. Now where it gets interesting beyond the news headlines and literature on how ‘just smiling makes you feel better’ is the advantage that positive emotion gives your brain in training for our beloved December memory olympics.

Positive affective states influence memory. Yes, memory folks. Positive emotions during memory retention/learning are shown to increase detailed recall as well as clarity. And for all our clever paper writing or problem-solving students, positive affective states bolster creativity too.

So other than reminding yourself to smile every time you catch yourself in the mirror, how do make ourselves feel positive? The very first step I have for you is:

CUE GRATITUDE.

*note- I used the term ‘cue gratitude’ in lieu of ‘be grateful’ because you already are grateful, you just need to bring that to the forefront of your attention.

I was the quiet girl in high school. The one more likely to be heard on the morning prayer announcements than at all in class. I had friends, was relatively involved, and adored learning, but I was ever so careful with my words. It was as if they were some sort of precious currency that were only to be used when absolutely necessary. Life was quieter. Nonetheless, I was pretty much always happy during that time.

Fast forward half a decade and I am an advisor here at UBC and life is ever-exciting. This university experience is one that I vision-boarded about and dreamed of. I get to frequent whistler and now with my sister, I have made some amazing friends, endured some of the best memories, I encounter many inspiring as well as uplifting conversations, have a dream job for my age where I get to meet lots of people and host creative events, I get to learn from excellent professors, have a ton of freedom, and have picked up a number of vancouveresque hobbies like running, coffee, sailing, yoga and the list continues. I have a passion for being inspired and those kinds of opportunities are always knocking on my door here at UBC. Although I caught myself stressed earlier in 2013 and feeling mediocre; for the longest time I tried to piece together what I had been missing from that Catholic high school experience. And I felt right back to myself again as soon as it hit me-it was those few moments every here and there of reflection and gratitude that accompany prayer. I realized that though I was good at maintaing gratitude for other people, I had forgot to make time to be grateful for my life itself.

Figuring this out made me revisit my gratitude journal and recenter my definition of myself.

Being grateful feels great. There is nothing noble or intelligent about being negative. And better to smile spontaneously authentically than have to keep reminding yourself to smile (we have too many other things to keep track of anyway).

But to take this a step further, we can be grateful for our exams. We can be grateful for whatever card was dealt to us that had us end up here, learning in lieu of working. Having time to fill our brains. Learning to be grateful for our learning may be the key step from changing your mind-frame to studying as a chore or as a privilege. Seeing exams as an opportunity to both accumulate and demonstrate knowledge is the first-line strategy.

Other things to help you feel great and take advantage of a better memory would include- calling someone who you love talking to, hitting the treadmill (even if you have to bring your textbook along with you), getting out in nature, laughing, eating your MUFAs, taking vitamin D & napping.

And so in keeping with the spirit of gratitude, thank you for reading this. It was a genuine pleasure to spend my morning with a cup of coffee and a blank page.

May you always make lemonade.

Best of luck,

Vanessa

by Leo Marchand

University is a magical time. There probably won’t be any other chance in my life for me to try, and fail at, as many things as I have in the last 3-odd years. While I may regret thinking I could play basketball or solve partial differential equations, there is one decision that I’m very glad I chose to make: joining Co-op.

In case that term is more reminiscent of credit unions than anything related to university, I’ll give you a brief rundown. Co-op, or cooperative education if you want to be fancy, is a program offered at UBC that allows you to supplement your academics with work at companies in relevant industries. For around 4 to 8 month chunks, you get the chance to leave the drudgery of exams behind, and pretend to be a real person with a real job.

I’m currently wrapping up month 7 of my time at a software company in Gastown, and it’s been a blast so far. My co-workers have been fantastic, and having my own desk and keys makes me feel immensely important. Since I’ve been at it for a while, I figured I could share some of my experiences with the rest of you MaPond denizens in the hopes that they might prove useful. Without further ado, here is my list of 5 ways to make the most out of a co-op position:

1:  Ask Questions!

I wouldn’t say I’m a particularly shy person, but at the beginning of my work term, I had the impression that if I interrupted my co-workers to ask for their help, the entire workflow of the company would be disrupted and I’d be immediately fired. Needless to say, I quickly realized this wasn’t the case, and I’ve since learned a lot more from my fellow employees than I ever did from aimlessly browsing Google.

2. Don’t Ask Questions!

The above being said, sometimes the best way to learn (and to not embarrass yourself) is to mess around and figure out if you can solve a problem on your own. I’ll admit that I was a bit overzealous with my question asking at first, to the point where I was essentially the developer equivalent of Dr. Dre, with all my code being ghostwritten for me. I think I’m striking a pretty good balance now though, and it’s quite satisfying being able to say that I created something all by myself.

3. Do Your Homework!

Oddly enough, I’ve probably spent more time at libraries during my co-op term than I ever did while at school. One of the joys and challenges of my work has been the fact that I’m using tools and technologies that I’d never been exposed to before, and I’ve had to catch up pretty quickly. I started the term thinking that JavaScript was just Java written in cursive, but after some online tutorials and a book or two, I’m now at a pretty decent level of fluency. Seriously though, it’ll make your life way easier if you put in a small amount of extra time.

4. Treat it Like an Interview!

Although it’s tempting to think of co-op as little more than a chance to laugh at your friends while they struggle with their course loads, it does have a pretty singular (and important) purpose: to help you find a job. Since the work takes place at actual companies, there’s always the chance that you’ll impress your employers enough for them to hire you in the future. With that in mind, keep your appearance and attitude professional, and try your best to stay on task!

5. Don’t be Afraid to Have Fun!

One of the joys of software companies is the fact that things can sometimes be a bit more casual than your average office. My workplace is no exception, and during my time here I’ve been able to partake in everything from Beer Fridays and foosball tournaments to post-it pixel art battles with the office across the street. As much as it’s important to be professional, don’t be afraid to have fun with your co-workers; it’s also a great way to get to know them better!

Well, there you have it. Nothing too revolutionary, but I feel like I could have benefitted from being told some of these things before I started work. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I should get back to discovering the exciting world of Backbone.js. Until next time, MaPond!

Posted by: | 6th Dec, 2013

The Passion Paradox

by Yi  Zhang (Ponderosa Advisor)

Most people do a lot of agonizing over what they want to do with their life. For me, it was – did I really want to go into the sciences? Could I really be content with memorizing microscopic drivel that really had no relevance to my life?

Interest isn’t just there. It takes time for it to brew and simmer. Approaching something with utter abomination will, of course, not lead to interest. However, the development of interest does not arise so perfectly and linearly that you begin a passionate artist and end a passionate artist. Leonardo da Vinci hated what his mother made him do… until, well, he began to enjoy what he was doing.

A person’s like or dislike of something, someone, anything really – is extremely prone to change. It is dynamic, never quite a constant stream of undying love or grotesque hate.

Most people, likewise, are deluded into thinking that they are capable of the kind of frenzied passion that is advertised in the lives of successful people. The fact of the matter is that this incessant deluge of passion simply does not exist. There are moments in a scientist’s life when he is bored to desperation by the conundrum he must solve. There are moments in a doctor’s life when he is not fervently motivated by the concept of saving a person’s life, and is instead really just trying to get through a day.

This truth, of course, is not written in the propaganda of motivational material out there to saturate our minds with this concept of immaculate and relentless passion. This is the biggest lie that guidance counselors and parents tell us to do. From grade nine to graduation, we will probably have been bombarded at least some hundreds of times the phrase “follow your heart”.

Everyone has an idealized vision of what they really want to do with their lives. This vision is often unreachable because it is so absolutely perfect. What attracts people is at foremost the fantasized amalgam of ideas they associate with this unattainable vision. Are people attracted as a result an intrinsic desire to do these things, or the wildly romantic perfect future they’ve made for themselves?

Why not, if not appreciate, at least engage with what you are doing with your life? There is music to be heard, places to be appreciated, wherever you go. Must I love something to do it? Not necessarily. There are silver linings to be found for every major chosen out of apathy, for every sloppily written essay to meet a course requirement. As a society, we need to laud the people who fall in love with the things to do, even from a place of unlikelihood and hardship. Passion isn’t borne out of nothing, it’s borne out of failure and displeasure with something just as it is borne out of success and enjoyment.

Posted by: | 4th Dec, 2013

Festive Entertaining!

Hello! My name is Debbie and I am one of your Marine Drive advisors residing in Building 6.

I am very excited that the holiday season is here again. For me, one of the highlights of the holidays is being able to spend time with family and friends. People generally have more free time and the holiday cheer in the air provides many opportunities for gathering and celebrating.

Throwing a festive party can be just as fun and stress-less as attending one.

If you are planning a holiday party this year, consider having a themed party to inspire your decorations, menu, and activities. Themes add an element of excitement to parties and help to make the event memorable. Not to mention, the options are endless: consider the classic themes or get creative and come up with something unique.

In need of inspiration? Here are some ideas:

Winter wonderland: A whimsical and elegant way to celebrate this beautiful season! Keep your guests warm with a hot chocolate bar, popcorn, and sugar cookies. Make snowflake decorations, hang up indoor lights, and turn on the fireplace to create a warming atmosphere.

Ugly Sweater party: Guests are to come in their ugly sweaters (aka most festive sweaters). For one of the activities, have your guests bring a holiday decoration they no longer want and use these decorations to create a new ugly festive sweater all together at the party.

Cookie exchange: For cookie lovers, ask everyone to bring a serving of their homemade cookies and the recipe to the event. At the party, everyone exchanges cookies and recipes so that your guests go home with an assortment of cookies and new recipes to try.

Deck the Hall: Have a party to decorate your home for the holiday and have craft stations to make homemade cards and decorations.

Cookies & Cocoa: Invite guests to bake/decorate cookies and sip hot cocoa; the perfect winter time combination. Go ice-skating afterwards at a local ice arena.

Progressive Dinners: Each guest cooks and hosts a course of the meal in their homes. During the party, guests will travel together from one house to the other for each course. This is a true community-style dinner party where everyone in attendance can be involved.

It’s a wRAP party: Sing-along to rap music while wrapping gifts. This is a fun way to spend time with friends and family and get all of your holiday gift wrapping done! (Make sure you don’t wrap each other’s gift at the event though!)

If you do plan on having party in your residence, keep in mind that parties are not allowed during exam hours, where extended silent hours are in effect. As soon as the final exam period is over, be sure to check with your RA for a Function Responsibility Form (FRF). Having an FRF is one way to ensure that your party will be merry and bright!

Wishing you all the best with your holiday party planning!

Posted by: | 15th Nov, 2013

Secret Snowflake!

Do you want to send someone you care about a small pick-me-up without spending copious amounts of mula? Well with a little spare change, some creative juices, and a quick google search you can send good vibes while keeping all your organs. Send some S’more love or the ingredients for a sugar high.  Or for a real quick fix, just grab a bottle of soda from the nearest vending machine and give it a fun disguise. And for those individuals that are just far too practical, a small Lego piece can go a long way in finding those darn keys!

Posted by: | 15th Nov, 2013

Why Am I Here Again?

Hey MaPond residents, R.A. Vince here from MD4.

Most of us are borderline overwhelmed around this time of year.  I know that nagging feeling whenever I am not doing something productive, like my assignment or studying. Or writing this blog post. I feel guilty sometimes when I’m at the gym or playing my favourite video games, like shouldn’t I be reading that book I will never pick up again after I complete this lit course?

I work another job. It involves working with first-year students. These bright-eyed puppies are so enthusiastic and eager to meet new people. They are navigating their first semester at UBC, all optimistic and happy and joining clubs and stuff. It makes me sick (in the nicest way possible). Because I look at myself and think “Vince, you’ve really let yourself go you jaded fifth-year robot.”

I feel like I’m at the end of my rope. At this point, it feels like I’m just going through the motions, you know? And in the spring, I will be free; I will have graduated. But right now, the rope feels more like a noose around my neck and with deadlines looming it is just getting tighter.

So at work I did some free-writing with some of these frolicking first-years. For about 10-ish minutes we wrote whatever came to mind about a topic of choice (ours was “university”) and afterward shared what we wrote with one another. One student, displaying a maturity (read: cynicism) beyond his years, used words like “meaningless” and “cramming” to describe his university experience (all of two-and-a-half-months-old thus far). He said he usually saw things through a glass-half-full perspective, until he started university. He asked a couple of important questions: Why am I in university? Who am I here for? (Wow, so deep.)

Let me break it down for you, straight up.

If you are here because someone other than you wants you to be here, you shouldn’t be here, full stop. Pretty simple. (This lends itself to the frustratingly difficult question: What do you want/Is it what you really want? But anyway…) The other question is more complex. Why are you in university?

Why are we all here, indeed?

In the grand scheme of things, most of university is useless.

Class? Useless.

Exams? Useless.

That paper I should be developing right now but instead writing this blog post? Useless.

And yet we go to class, contribute to discussions, complete assignments, write exams, and pass four years (or more)of our lives and money for a piece of paper telling employers we are qualified to work jobs X, Y, and Z.

Why?

My essay isn’t going to change the world. That I scored 58% or 85% on that test won’t earn me that job interview and once I get it, I wouldn’t list it as a personal strength if the hiring manager asks.

University has lost its sparkle; it is theory-heavy and many students lose sight of its practicality. But university itself is an exercise of real life. The practicality of university is in its lack of practicality. And in a way, because university is a rehearsal for real life it could be seen as practical.

In the real world (no, university is not the real world even if you’re living alone, no matter what your parents tell you) businesses have deadlines, UN committees write reports, HR departments deal with people, researchers analyze and peer-review sources, and construction workers need to build things as planned.  University allows you to make mistakes in all of these areas before you are thrust into the real world where your errors could have negative impacts on people. University is practice, that is its use and that’s what it’s good for. And practice makes perfect.

Go out and meet people. These people are your classmates and neighbours (ahem, future colleagues) and we should all by now be aware that opportunities come mostly from who you know, not necessarily what you know. It’s also about practicing people skills such as behaviour (not being on your smartphone/gadget at a meal), speaking (“It was a pleasure speaking with you/we should re-connect soon/let’s swap contact information” and not “Nice meeting you/gotta go to my other meeting/ kthxbye”), and listening (asking questions rather than repeating “cool” like a broken record).  Look, I detest networking with a passion (let’s not get into why, or I’ll be here all night) but it’s a game you have to play as a student to get ahead.

Likewise, I detest assignments with a passion but it’s a game I have to play. So I’m going to continue to meet deadlines, from here. Write reports, from here. Polish my people skills, from here. Analyze sources and documents, from here. Find the correct solution, from here. Learn how to live alone/with roommates, from here.

Until I graduate from here.

So whether you are a first-year or a graduate student, don’t stop. You can do it. Think of the bigger picture, think of what you are getting out of your university experience. Don’t ask why a particular assignment matters, because it doesn’t. Just keep going with the knowledge that the skills you are honing here will prepare you for life out there.

And that is what university is good for.

That is why you are here.

Posted by: | 15th Nov, 2013

Work Out Alternatives!

by Ricky Mamonluk

Itching to get your cardio fix but all the machines are taken? Is the weather too cold to go for a scenic run? Not enough hours in a day? Read on, friend!

The Tabata Protocol is a training regimen that was developed by a Japanese professor. The training program is a form of high-intensity interval training that yields great results in little time. I use this regimen from time to time, and the easy part is that you will only need to set aside 4 minutes of your day.  The challenge is that your body will hurt – a lot (in a good way).

The idea of the program, and high-intensity interval training, is to condense your workout to short periods of exertion followed by a short period recovery. These training sessions can range from 4 to 30 minutes, and are said to be more effective than prolonged steady-state cardio workouts.

The Tabata Protocol

For the first 20 seconds, perform a cardiovascular activity and push yourself hard. If your exertion and determination were to be stated in percentages, you would want to do the 20-second workout at over 100%. Following the 20 seconds is a 10 second rest period where you do not do your cardio workout. After the 10 seconds, begin your 20-second workout once again. This 30-second cycle repeats itself 8 times, completing your 4-minute workout.

Some examples of my favorite cardio workouts that you could use are squats, mountain climbers, or burpees. Feel free to look up more workouts and how to perform them properly online!

I have only been able to introduce the concepts of high-intensity interval training and the Tabata Protocol, but I really encourage you to conduct your own research on these topics. There is so much more to be said, with many scientific journals published that much better explain the science behind these programs. Make sure you do your research to find out what is best for you.

Happy studying, and see you in the gym!

Older Posts »