Old Sock Drawer

a story to tell, a novel you keep in a drawer

Old Sock Drawer header image 2

#050: A tale of two books

February 14th, 2009 by Mary Leong

Currently listening to: “M79” – Vampire Weekend

Before I start, [insert obligatory yay-reading-break-huzzah comment here].

So I bought two (2) books yesterday. Yes, it’s always the same old story. Work at a bookstore, can’t leave without getting something. In any case, one of the books was absolutely bloody brilliant, and the other one was a complete disappointment. Can’t always be having the best of both worlds now, can we? So here goes nothing.

He’s Just Not That Into You

(Except I bought the cheaper movie adaptation paperback, not the hardcover.) Now this was one huge flop of a read. Sure, I understand it’s supposed to be lighthearted and well, supposedly quite humourous, but unfortunately, I failed to see the humour OR the good advice. Firstly, the book is just not funny. At all. For a self-help book that touts itself as being a book one might find at Urban Outfitters (and for the record, you can’t find it there), it’s not very amusing. Secondly – god, the advice! The advice given! Honestly! This book should be titled “If He’s Not Obsessed With The Sole Thought Of Sleeping With You, Well, He’s Just Not That Into You”. For a book that claims to be perfectly rational, it’s certainly placing a high order on the sheer helplessness of humanity when faced with pheremones and hormones. In one strategically placed chapter (smack middle of the book) Greg Behrendt and Liz Tuccillo express the opinion that, well, sex trumps all other forms of expressing love, going as far as decrying the (in my humble opinion, very charming and darling) gestures of cookies and warm nights spent cuddling before the fire and pleasantries and chivalry. How reassuring to know that the prospect of sex is the one thing that drives and paralyzes humans and renders them incapable of doing anything else. I guess everyone I know must be completely abnormal then. Do you see anything wrong with that sentence? I think I’ve made my point.

The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism

And now this. THIS. Naomi Klein, you are my hero and I would nominate you for sainthood. THANK YOU FOR WRITING THIS BOOK. THANK YOU FOR ACTUALLY DEVOTING A WHOLE CHAPTER ABOUT THE BOLIVIAN WATER FOR PROFIT ISSUE. I COULD LOVE YOU JUST FOR THAT ALONE, but you went on and wrote a whole brilliant book. Thank you for – well, talking about what the world needs to know about how the rampant imposition of Western capitalist free-market views on developing countries is a venture that is doomed to failure. Sheer imperialistic arrogance, hidden under the sleek facade of humanitarian efforts. If you’re planning on doing anything regarding global finances and trade markets, please read this book. With the slow but steady corporate domination of the developing world, this book is incredibly valuable in demonstrating how the undermining pre-existing states of government (which work for their respective populations) in favour of implementing “democracy” is a sheer free-for-all grab for wealth and power. Rich growing richer, poor getting poorer, a diminishing middle class, and the top dogs of First World countries smirk as they watch on. I frankly feel ashamed to be fortunate enough to be born into this percentile of the world which lives without fear of starvation, threat, or governments selling off national interests to multinationals. And I feel incredibly, incredibly lucky to have all these resources at my fingertips. Also, more saddeningly, I feel incredibly powerless to do anything in the face of all this. What more can I say? I’m at a loss for words here, so I’ll stop. (Oh, I’m going to read Milton Friedman’s Capitalism and Freedom next, for an opposing viewpoint. I promise I’ll write a review of that when I’m done. And maybe do some refuting of my own.)

It’s nice to know for every rubbish book there is out there, there is one which will blow it right out of the water.
I’m willing to lend out either book to anyone who’s interested.

Tags:   3 Comments

3 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tysune Feb 14, 2009 at 8:17 am

“If He’s Not Obsessed With The Sole Thought Of Sleeping With You, Well, He’s Just Not That Into You”
    That seems to be a really popular philosophy, though… …maybe I’m just too ignorant about it… …XD

I might read TSD during the Summer, but until then I probably won’t get the chance XD

• 2 Tim Feb 14, 2009 at 10:04 am

great book reviews! Your post motivated me to do some recreational reading this…ahem…reading break.

• 3 Lizzy Feb 15, 2009 at 10:36 pm

I have Naomi Klein’s two earlier works and think she has a lot of important things to say. I’ve been meaning to read No Logo again — it’s been awhile. The Shock Doctrine is definitely on my list now too!