Khashina Tonks-Turcotte

Mechanical Engineering 2018good-copy
Mechatronics Option

A little bit about me…
I love trying new things, like building soccer playing robots or swing dancing. My favourite food is popcorn, my current favourite place is Science World (where my profile picture was taken!), and my favourite sport is capoeira. My life-goals involve traveling around the world, learning to play the violin, and improving my handwriting so when I’m a famous inventor hundreds of years from now they can read my notes.

I wish I had known before I came…
That less than 20% of engineering students finish their degree in 4 years (most take at least 5!). So no stress. Spread your classes out a bit, join a club or a student team – you’re doing great.

I chose mechanical engineering because…
I always wanted to be an inventor, like Leonardo DaVinci or Hedy Lamarr, and engineering school trains you how to be an inventor in a specific field.
I chose mechatronics because robots are basically the coolest thing ever, and studying a mixture of mechanical, electrical, and computer engineering will allow me to invent so many more things.

Mechanical engineering at UBC in one word…
invigorating

What I like best about my program…
Always learning new things about how the world works, and how to make use of that information. After a good class, I’ll often come away with the feeling of “that explains so much, the world makes so much sense now”.

Outside of the classroom, I am involved with…

• Being the Academic Representative for Club Mech
  • Making autonomous soccer playing robots with Thunderbots
  • Helping out at EngCite events
  • Working with Mech Student Services
  • Going to boardgames nights with my friends

Favourite moment/memory so far…
Finishing the design report for MECH 328 with my group the night before it was due. Our project was really cool and involved various designs that would make sailing easier and more comfortable for disabled people, but like typical students, we left the report to the last minute and were at school late into the night finishing our report the night before it was due. It was actually really fun, working with a close group of people on such a cool project – and it was rewarding! By the time we were done, our table of contents was 9 pages long!

Articles

Hey there!