Nose to the grindstone, mind in the stars

Be infinite

“infinite: to be unbounded or unlimited; boundless; endless; immeasurably great”

That was the theme of this years Student Leadership Conference, which I attended yesterday. And, after spending a day listening to featured presenters speak about dreams and teaching us how to become who we want to be, I can easily say that I am so incredibly inspired by the presenters and everyone else who attended the conference. The day started off unnaturally early for a Saturday (9:00am, early bird gets the worm I guess? and we did spend most of the day talking about how to achieve the worm…) However, when we got to the Chan Centre and entered the main theatre, the excitement started building and I almost forgot how tired I was. The room was packed with students who all shared the same mindset as me – they wanted to become leaders, and they wanted to learn how to follow their dreams.

The first speaker was Peter van Stolk, the founder of Jones Soda, and the current CEO of SPUD (Sustainable Produce Urban Delivery). He was a pretty cool guy, and helped show us how powerful social media can be in terms of marketing. Next, I went to see Alia Dharmasi, who is a 4th year medical student here at UBC. Her main message was that we should all take risks and step out of our comfort zone, because who knows where that one decision could take us. She was a very interesting woman, and she was really easy to relate to. Next, I went to a workshop about self-care that was run by two RA’s. It was pretty interesting, and I found out that, compared to other university students, I actually do a pretty good job of taking care of myself! Those three events took until about noon, when I headed over to Irving K. Barber to pick up my sandwich and drink for lunch. After eating my locally sourced sustainable lunch, I headed to a zumba class. That was thoroughly exhausting, and after it was over they gave us cards for $5 classes at their studio! I went to a workshop about how to travel on a budget, which was actually super useful and I learned a lot. I went to the next featured presentation which was run by Lydia Hol, a UBC graduate turned musician. She told us the importance of following your dreams, and how to overcome the negative thoughts about failure or disappointment. Last but definitely not least, I headed back to the Chan Centre to watch Waneek Horn-Miller, an inspirational Mohawk woman, present. She was the captain of the women’s Olympic water polo team in 2000, but to get there she had to overcome many obstacles, including mental and physical recovery from a wound she received from a Canadian soldier’s bayonet during the Oka Crisis. Waneek is an incredible woman, and I could have listened to her all evening.

All in all, the SLC was an amazing and empowering experience, and I highly recommend it to absolutely ANYONE who wants to go to something super awesome and feel good about LIFE.

So this was after a hellish first week of classes which involved too many early mornings, late nights, and an absurd amount of courses (just so you now, it is NOT a good idea to take 8 courses at once *hints*). But all my courses are looking good so far, the profs are interesting (possibly not in a good way) and life is exhausting but I’m loving it.

The moral of this blog post is that yes, you should go to the SLC because it’s fabulous, and that no, you should not take 8 courses at once because it’s hell. Aight.

Be infinite