West coast best coast

… summer is over?

What?

When did that happen?

Why am I back at school?

But… but… summer went by so quickly compared to the last school year!

yzma cruel irony

Well I guess school is back in session for the term! It did feel like it snuck up awfully quickly though. One minute, I was sitting at home binge watching The Mentalist and going for drinks with my friends and the next I was moving in to my new apartment (Marine Drive, holla!) and saying goodbye to my parents. Even though I’ve only been back in Vancouver a week, I can tell that this year is going to be much different than the last.

First of all, I’ve decided not to be hospitalized at any point in the year. That is my number one goal for pretty much the rest of time. Hospitalization sucks, especially when it’s during the first week of school. I’ve decided to start with small goals. I won’t get hospitalized for a whole year first, then I’ll extend my goal to two years, then four, and so on. Then it should extend to pretty much forever.

Rambling. Sorry.

This year I have a much lighter courseload than last year (THANK GOD) so that will leave me with a lot more time to practice tuba and write music. I’m really hoping to improve myself musically rather than academically this year, so my goal will be to focus on my instruments more than my courses. Not to neglect my studies, of course, but just to improve in my musicality.

I have also somehow escaped the hellhole that is the Vanier cafeteria and Cariboo house (it was just too loud), and now I live in a GORGEOUS apartment in Marine Drive! That means I have three awesome suitemates and the wildly anticipated KITCHEN. I have a beautiful single room that I’ve decorated with all sorts of colourful and obnoxious objects, and I don’t have the constant annoyance of my roommate from last year. This apartment is practically perfect. I can even see the sunset from my FLOOR TO CEILING window in my room. The only downside is that a few of my roomies don’t really have fantastic cooking skills, so there’s always the possibility that I could come home and find the kitchen on fire.

josh ramsay and fire

For this year, I’ve decided to devote myself to healthier eating habits. I’m always fine when I eat at home in Edmonton, and I do have a fair amount of cooking experience, so I should be able to pull this off. My diet mostly consists of quinoa, spinach, fruit, yogurt, and eggs. And it tastes FANTASTIC.

I also exercise now. It’s a new development. I’m not sure how to feel about it, but we’ll see how it goes. I also decided to execute this by joining the school quidditch team (yes, there’s a quidditch team!) Mixing nerdy things with athletics is the best way to go about it.

Anyways, I’m just hoping that this year will be an improvement on last year! Judging by all the amazing events and things that UBC keeps pulling off, I won’t be surprised if it surpasses even my wildest expectations for what university can (and should) be. To all the new UBC students: welcome! You’ve become part of an amazing campus-wide community that’s just so inclusive and awesome. If you’re still feeling slightly lost amid the hustle and bustle of this huge school, don’t worry about it. Talk to the person sitting beside you in your lecture, say hi to someone on the bus, and join a club or two. You’ll find your niche soon enough and if you don’t, just keep looking until you do. There’s something here for everyone, and I’m sure that you’ll fall in love with this place just like I have! Ta ta for now.

jim carrey smiling