A note from a friend (Leah MacFadyen) bout an interesting conference that will be here at UBC in June and is copied below.
CATaC (Cultural Attitudes towards Technology and Communication) 2010: Diffusion 2.0: Computing, mobility, and the next generations”
On behalf of the Local and Program Chairs, and the CATaC Executive Committee, we are very pleased to pass on to you the Call for Papers for CATaC (Cultural Attitudes towards Technology and Communication) 2010, “Diffusion 2.0: Computing, mobility, and the next generations”.
Venue: University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Dates: 15-18 June 2010
CATaC’10 will feature keynote addresses by Dr Linc Kesler (First Nations Studies, The University of British Columbia) and Dr John Willinsky (Stanford University School of Education).
The CATaC conference series provides a premier international forum for current research on how diverse cultural attitudes shape the implementation and use of information and communication technologies (ICTs). The conference series brings together scholars from around the globe who provide diverse perspectives, both in terms of the specific culture(s) they highlight in their presentations and discussions, and in terms of the discipline(s) through which they approach the conference theme.
Original full papers (especially those which connect theoretical frameworks with specific examples of cultural values and practices) and short papers (e.g. describing current research projects and preliminary results) are invited. Topics of particular interest include but are not limited to:
- Mobile technologies in developing countries
- New layers of imaging and texting interactions fostering and/or threatening cultural diversity
- Theoretical and practical approaches to analyzing “culture”
- Impact of mobile technologies on privacy and surveillance
- Gender, sexuality and identity issues in social networks
- Cultural diversity in e-learning and/or m-learning
- Both short (3-5 pages) and long (10-15 pages) original papers are sought.
- See “submissions” on the conference website – http://www.catacconference.org for information about submitting papers and formatting guidelines.
The conference web site also provides further details regarding accommodations, submission procedures, etc.
We look forward to receiving your submissions and to welcoming you to Vancouver in 2010!
Local Co-Chair: Leah Macfadyen (UBC)
Local Co-Chair: Kenneth Reeder (UBC)
Program Chair: Herbert Hrachovec (University of Vienna)
Lorna Heaton (Université de Montréal, Canada) Maja van der Velden (University of Oslo, Norway)
Fay Sudweeks (Co-Chair, CATaC)
Charles Ess (Co-Chair, CATaC)