08/20/14
Vegan Roasted Vegetable Sandwich at The Boulevard

Campus Food For Every Taste And Every Budget

Do you love food? Are you new to UBC, or have been here forever but have been to the same place for lunch every day since first year? Maybe it’s time to change it up.

Here is your go-to guide to grub on campus, neatly sorted out for you by exactly what you’re looking for…Okay, so maybe it’s not the be-all-end-all guide, but hey — it’s a start.

Daily Cheap Eats:

Chinese food for lunch from The Village basement

Monday: Head to the downstairs food court in The Village for a large variety of inexpensive ethnic foods (entrance near McDonald’s). {V}

Tuesday: Grab an Original Burger from Triple O’s for $3.33 +tax.

Wednesday: Say “shalom” to the folks at Hillel as you fill up your lunch plate for $5. Later, hit up the basement of MacMillan (where Agora café is) for a $5 dinner at 5pm, hosted by LFS Undergrad Society. BYOC (bring your own container). {V}

Thursday: Explore the SUB food court and choose whichever type of food tickles your fancy! {V}

Friday: Stop by Sprouts downstairs in the SUB for a by-donation lunch between 11:30am – 1:30pm. BYOC. Around 3 or 4pm, head to The Delly for 50% most of their food items. {V}

Saturday:Dim sum / yum cha breakfast at the Totem Park dining hall. Do it.

Follow: @chowvancouver@freefoodubc@ubcsprouts

Vegan & Gluten-Free Goodies:

Vegan / Vegetarian

On campus, cozy sister cafés Seedlings and Sprouts are great spots to grab a bite and meet friendly people. The Gallery, Bernoulli’s Bagels and The Boulevard also all have excellent vegan & vegetarian lunch options. Coming soon: “Palate” will be serving veg cuisine in the Nest (aka New SUB), starting January 2015. {V}

Also, VegUBC organizes events (eg. monthly potlucks & dinner outings) and is working on providing resources, recipe tutorials and answers to anyone with questions about eating more vegetarian and vegan food. Join the facebook group for updates on events.

Gluten-Free

Great Dane has gf sandwiches and they will clean off the area they make them on if you are allergic. The Delly in the SUB basement also has GF Indian food. Looking to indulge? Mahony & Son’s has GF nachos and Tim Horton’s has GF coconut macaroons. Feeling Fancy? Sage has tons of GF fine dining options.

Follow: @vegubc@vegcoastvan@gfvancouver

Halal & Kosher Restaurants:

Wednesday 'Hot Lunch' at UBC Hillel

Wednesday ‘Hot Lunch’ at UBC Hillel

Halal

The UBC Muslim Students’ Association has compiled this list of restaurants on campus that serve halal meat.

Kosher

The UBC Hillel hosts Friday night Shabbat dinners every so often and offers affordable hot lunches every Wednesday. All food served is kosher, and they are also a great reference if you have questions about kosher food elsewhere on campus. {V}

What’s With Food In Rez?

Lunch at Place Vanier Dining Hall

Lunch at Place Vanier Dining Hall (all veggie!)

It’s actually quite good. Both Totem Park and Place Vanier dining halls are open to the public and offer a wide selection of food items. They label whether dishes contain dairy, eggs, meat, shellfish, pork, wheat, etc — which is super helpful. I recommend the wrap station in Totem, The Ginger Pot and soups at Vanier and the salad bars at both, which are all very vegan-friendly. {V}

Looking For Something Sustainable?

UBC Sustainable Campus Food Guide

Check out the UBC Sustainable Campus Food Guide. This beautifully illustrated guide packs a bunch of useful information, including:

• “UBC Food Rules” checklist with tips on how to eat eco-consciously on campus
  • Where on campus you can refill your reusable water bottle for free
  • Large directory of sustainable restaurants & cafés at UBC (p.9), **which highlights vegan and gluten-free options** {V}

Follow: @sustainubc, @healthyubc, @ubcfarm

Helpful Resources:

• Complete list of all UBC-affiliated places to eat on campus, locations & hours
  • Mobile app to order your food in advance
  • This blog! I will be posting throughout the school year on here and on the VegUBC blog — including where to find great food around UBC and how to make your own yummy, healthy food at home (with loads of quick & easy recipe ideas).

Hope that helps! If you still don’t know where to find food on or around campus, feel free to give me a shout out.

What are your favorite places to eat on campus? Have I missed some UBC gems? Share your favorite spots in the comments!

Nirel

<3

PS. For those returning students who recognized this post, it is an updated version of last year’s UBC fyi newsletter post (which I wrote).

05/30/14
Source: pjmedia.com

HE’s 50 Life Secrets and Tips

Playlist: anything on sound cloud’s “deep house” station

This list (and website) are pretty fantastic. I am a big believer in sharing tips for success in life. I am SO grateful to everyone I have learned from in my life, which makes me especially excited to teach, encourage and inspire others.

I think that people are sometimes afraid to share their secrets to happiness or success because they think doing so will make them lose their advantage over others….as if life is just one big competition….which is unfortunate, because when it comes down to it, we’re all in this together. Don’t you ultimately want this world to be filled with happy, successful people? I do.

If you are doing something that makes you happy and/or successful, share it! (in the comments, if you like :) )

I refer back to the list often, and I suggest you incorporate some of these tips into your life if you haven’t already! They’ve improved my quality of life.

-Nirel xx

05/25/14
research definition

Fun Language-Learning Tools!

Looking for a summer project? Learn a new language! It’s amazing to think you’ll be able to form connections with people you otherwise wouldn’t have been able to communicate with… Here are some tools to get you started:

ielanguages (comprehensive vocab lists w/ flashcards & audio)

duolingo (there’s an app for this language-learning game and it’s SO fun!!)

kypros (specifically Greek vocab lists)

Good luck, don’t give up and have fun!! :)

-Nirel

Edit: Just discovered this awesome podcast — another awesome tool!!

coffee break (great for Spanish, French & German)

08/12/13
rewind button

FYF : Concerts – Alt-J @ The Commodore Ballroom

Playlist: Alt-J – Fitzpleasure

Much like The Black Keys’s Brothers was the soundtrack of my 11th grade year, I listened to Alt-J’s debut album, An Awesome Wave, on repeat throughout my first year of university. That album just resonated with me — I blogged about their KEXP performance and even recorded a drum cover of the song “Breezeblocks”. Needless to say, I was stoked to see they were coming to Vancouver and bought pre-sale tickets to see them several months in advance. My friend, Kett, and I scored second-row spots and the show was fantastic. Also, The Commodore Ballroom is gorgeous.

alt-j concert april 2013

alt-j concert april 2013 2alt-j concert april 2013 3nirel and kett at alt-j

-N

This post is part of a series of posts I am writing about my first year at UBC, upon reflection. Check out the First Year Flashbacks category or look for the “FYF” image beside each post to read more.

08/10/13
rewind button

FYF : Concerts – AMS Block Party @ MacInnes Field, UBC

Playlist: Mord Fustang – Lick The Rainbow, Good For Grapes – London Fog

Like I said, AMS knows how to put on a kick-ass outdoor concert. Maybe it was the fact that I came earlier and saw all the bands play, or the pouring rain, or the four cups of hard cider now that I’d turned 19, but I liked this end-of-the-school-year show even better than its beginning-of-the-year equivalent. Line-up included Mord Fustang, Dillon Francis, K’Naan, Good For Grapes and Anxiojam. After that, I’m excited to see what AMS has in store for Welcome Back BBQ 2013! (Minus MacInnes field, which unfortunately has been ousted to make room for the new Aquatic Centre.)

Looks like Dan has his hands full…

Anxiojam!

UBC AMS block party 2013

-N

08/6/13
rewind button

FYF : Concerts – Idan Raichel Project @ The Vogue Theatre

Playlist: Idan Raichel Project – Mi’ma’amakim

My Mama was my valentine this year when she came up from Seattle to visit and see this show with me on February 14th. My friend saved us front-row seats in this intimate venue, so we were actually able to tell Idan Raichel “good job” (in Hebrew) and he answered us, “thanks”! Having my mom and friends at this show, which showcased fantastic musical talent, made it a total blast. Also, check the IRP out if you are into foreign music at all — Idan Raichel is an Israeli artist who collaborates with musicians from all over the world to create masterpieces in various languages.

My beautiful mother & me….just an arm’s length away from Idan Raichel!

the vogue theatre idan raichel project

-N <3

08/4/13
rewind button

FYF : Concerts – Bassnectar @ Thunderbird Stadium, UBC

Playlist: Bassnectar – Bass Head

Timestretch was the first dubstep album I ever listened to. Since then, I’ve managed to find a place for the genre in my heart: blasting it during workouts and raging at the occasional concert/music festival. Going to this show made me realize that I am by no means a “raver” — the music was way too loud (yes, I am aware I sound like your grandma) and Bassnectar is not as upbeat as the Skrillex-esque dubstep I’ve been listening to lately. However, I still managed to have some fun, thanks to the friends I was with. Remember, kids — friends are important. Especially at a rave that you went to not knowing it was going to be a rave. Oops.

fyf bassnectar 2012

fyf piglets at bassnectar 2012

My Haida First Floor Piglets!

-N

08/2/13
rewind button

First Year Flashbacks : Concerts – Welcome Back BBQ @ MacInnes Field, UBC

Playlist: Morgan Page – In The Air

I’ve always been an avid concert-goer, and my first year at UBC was no exception. A huge part of the reason I chose to attend UBC in the first place is because Vancouver is a beautiful city with so much going on — and if an artist is going on tour, it is likely they’ll play here.

AMS knows how to put on a sick outdoor concert. I definitely felt “welcome” after this show, featuring: Hey Ocean!, Morgan Page, Starfucker, Minxy Jones & DJ She. Partied it up with my new Jumpstart buddies. (:

fyf ubc welcome back bbq 2012

nirel at ubc welcome back bbq 2012

Broken foot? What broken foot? I’m here to dance (safely, of course – don’t want to break the other one…).

fyf ubc welcome back bbq on grass

-N

This post is part of a series of posts I am writing about my first year at UBC, upon reflection. Check out the First Year Flashbacks category or look for the “FYF” image beside each post to read more.

08/2/13
taglit birthright israel logo

Taglit – Birthright Israel : An Introduction

Playlist: Enya, Buena Vista Social Club

If you are Jewish and between the ages of 18-26 (or if you just enjoy reading travel blog posts), read on.

I have been incredibly lucky this summer to have gone on so many fun and exciting adventures. One I feel especially grateful for is the trip bestowed upon me by Taglit-Birthright Israel, an organization that sends Jewish young adults on a 10-day excursion to Israel…for FREE.

Yes, I’m serious.

The qualifications are as follows. You must: Have at least one Jewish parent, identify as Jewish, be between the ages of 18-26 and never have been to Israel on an organized trip or lived there past the age of 12. That’s it!

I don’t understand why anyone would not want to go on an all-expenses-paid trip to a beautiful country with a group of amazing people. Taglit offers trips throughout the summer and winter and if you meet the requirements, you have nothing to lose by applying.

This post is the first in a series I’ll write, highlighting my favorite experiences from the trip. I will also write a follow-up series about places I visited during the 3 1/2 weeks I spent in Israel post-Taglit (yep, you can extend your stay and they will still pay for your return ticket!).

Disclaimer: These posts are not sponsored (unless you count my Birthright-Israel trip as compensation, but I’m still writing them just because I want to share my experiences with those considering going on the trip and others who want to read about them).

Hope you’ve also had a fantastic summer so far,

-Nirel

Nirel Marofsky in Masada, Israel

That’s me in Masada, excited to tell you about my adventures.

07/17/13
Israeli flag

Israel: Modern Hebrew Slang and Other Common Expressions

I grew up speaking Hebrew with my mother, and spending 5 weeks in Israel this summer has definitely given me the opportunity to practice and improve my fluency, as well as pick up on modern slang (I was pretty out-of-the-loop until now). I thought I’d put together a list of slang and other words / expressions I’ve noticed people here use frequently. This was compiled with my brother in mind, who has recently begun teaching himself the language (woo!).

Notes: The “i”s are pronounced “ee”

The “ch” sounds like this.

The italicized syllable is the one you stress when you say the word.

Phonetic spelling:                                         Translation (more or less)

Achla……………………………………………….Awesome (borrowed from Arabic)

Al hakefak…………………………………………No problem/you’re welcome (borrowed from Arabic)

Al hapanim………………………………………..Terrible/a disaster (literally “on the face”)

Baktana……………………………………………Not a big deal

Ben/bat zona……………………………………..Son/daughter of a bitch

Chatich/chaticha………………………………..Good-looking guy/girl

Chaval al hazman……………………………….It’s worth it/it’s a great time (can be said about a place, experience or even person; literally “a waste of time”)

Esh………………………………………………….Awesome (literally “fire”)

Magniv……………………………………………..Awesome/cool

Noo??………………………………………………….And?? (used when you’re listening to someone tell a story and you want to hear what happened next, or if you are waiting on someone to do something; it’s a word whose sole purpose is to expresses impatience — how Israeli..)

Sababa……………………………………………..Cool/sweet/okay (can be used to say something is cool or as an affirmation; really common)

Sagoor………………………………………………Solid/okay/done deal

Yeshhhh……………………………………………Yesssss

Yala…………………………………………………Come on/let’s go/hurry up (usually precedes or follows “noo??”)

Terms of Endearment:

Achi………………………………………………..Bro (usually among boys/men age ~14 and up)

Chooki……………………………………………..Honey/Sweetie (usually directed at a girlfriend, boyfriend or dog; the “ch” is pronounced like it is in the name “Charlie” in English)

Mami……………………………………………...Honey/Sweetie (directed at a significant other, a close friend – among girls, or a child)

Motek………………………………………………Sweetie (literally means “sweetie”)

Informal Greetings:

Maamatzav?………………………………………What’s up? (literally “what’s the situation?”)

Ma kore?…………………………………………..What’s happening?

Do you know any slang I didn’t include? If so, post phrases in the comments below. Special thanks to Tal and Niv for adding to the list!

Much love from Israel,

Nirel