playing with pokémon

by on October 29, 2008

Yesterday, Scott McMillan and I met with Joanne Fox and David Ng to discuss potential support and ideas that OLT could contribute to their get-your-biodiversity-easy-as-Pokémon project, where they will try to use Pokemon principles that appeal to kids (cards collecting, memorization of skills, games) plus a bit of Web2.0 mashups to run it online.

I was always impressed with just how much information about various Pokémon kids can memorize. My then-7-years-old son knew pretty much all 150 plus Pokémon along with most of their types, skills and evolutions. Compare that with their ability to memorize stuff for school!

she is smart
She is smart!

It seems that simple setup, few inter-connected blogs and wikis and a few web services (flickr and Big Huge Labs) could get them far in terms of having awesome site for kids (end users), while still supporting various other interested groups and communities around this project: graphic designers (to submit their designs), scientists (organizing material and writing cards and games contents), school teachers (case studies, ideas).

Overall great conversation, we are looking forward to be involved!It seems that simple setup, few inter-connected blogs and wikis and a few web services (flickr and Big Huge Labs) could get them far in terms of having awesome site for kids (end users), while still supporting various other interested groups and communities around this project: graphic designers (to submit their designs), scientists (organizing material and writing cards and games contents), school teachers (case studies, ideas).

Overall great conversation, we are looking forward to be involved!