I’m very excited to see the launch of UBC’s new OER Fund. The Office of the Provost has committed $250,000 in annual funding for the next four years to support:
- The adoption, adaptation or creation of open educational resources which address affordability and access to learning resources within UBCV credit-based courses.
- Course enhancements using open educational resources, including assessment materials.
- Activities and events that seek to engage the UBCV community in increasing awareness and capacity for supporting open educational resources.
The UBC Vancouver OER Fund was established through the UBC Academic Excellence Fund to support affordable and inclusive access to learning materials through the adaption, adoption, development, and integration of open educational resources in UBC credit courses.
The OER Fund consists of two grant pathways:
- OER Rapid Innovation Grants: Grants of up to $1,000 which are available to the UBC community for innovative activities that increase open educational resources development, awareness and capacity building. The application cycle for this pathway will be available on a rolling basis until the funds allocated each year are exhausted.
- OER Implementation Grants: Grants of up to $25,000 for UBCV faculty who wish to incorporate open educational resources as the primary materials into their UBCV credit courses.
The UBC OER Fund is guided by the following principles:
- Increase the creation, adaptation, adoption and integration of high-quality open educational resources, including assessment materials, in UBC credit courses.
- Reduce student costs for learning materials and assessments.
- Enable instructors to modify, edit, or adapt high-quality open educational resources to fit their unique specifications and goals in order to help provide meaningful, contextualized learning materials for UBC students.
- Engage with the UBC community to increase awareness of open educational resources.
- Grow capacity at UBC to support and sustain open educational resources activities.
To learn more, application forms, criteria, and support for both grants are available at http://open.ubc.ca/oer-fund.