PaulLee Wanna Cracker?

Get Connected

July 25th, 2013 · No Comments

I know when I found out where I was assigned housing I was ecstatic. I tried to find out as much information as I could on location, what the food was going to be like, room size, etc. But what I was most curious about were the people who were going to be living on my floor/in my building with me. Keep reading →

→ No CommentsTags: Connections · Res Life

Whachu know ’bout First Year?

July 18th, 2013 · 2 Comments

Inspired by Thea’s post and Samantha’s post, here are some things I learned in my first year at UBC…

• Trust me, making friends is waaaaaay easier than you expect. Everyone is just as eager to talk about where they’re from and what faculty they’re in. Don’t be shy and go introduce yourself!
  • You’ll meet TONS of people in your first week at UBC. And you’ll probably never speak to half of them again. And that’s okay.
  • FOOLPROOF, 100% MONEY BACK GUARENTEE way to make friends on rez? Keep reading →

→ 2 CommentsTags: Academics · Events · Excitement · Res Life

I swear I’m still alive

July 9th, 2013 · 2 Comments

Around this time a year ago I was an eager, newly admitted student at UBC. I was excited to leave the prairies and move out to the beautiful west coast and was trying to get as much information as I could on courses, profs, events, rez life etc. And one of the best sources for all that information was right here with the UBC Blog Squad! Reading about all the real-life first year experiences from previous students really helped me out in trying to figure out what life was going to be like once I arrived at UBC.

So in the spirit of giving back, I’ll (try to) regularly post about specific things I was curious about before leaving home. And if there’s anything you lovely readers want to know, leave me a comment down below and I’ll try to get back to you or even make a post about it!

Also, it would super awesome if you applied to join the Blog Squad for the upcoming year. We’re looking for students new to UBC (first years or transfer students) to share their unique Thunderbird perspectives. It looks great on a resume (I was asked about it at my last interview), you’ll meet a fantastic group of people (many of whom you’ll become great friends with) and it’s a great way to get involved in the place that’ll be your home for the upcoming school year.

If you’re interested, click the link right down below and apply. Applications end July 21st so get blogging!

http://blogs.ubc.ca/blogsquad/join/

→ 2 CommentsTags: Excitement · Extra Curriculars

Big news

April 10th, 2013 · 2 Comments

So as I alluded in my last post, I have some big things planned for my second year at UBC. Starting in mid-December, applications for becoming an RA opened up. For those of you who don’t know, an RA (or Resident Advisor) is an upper-year student who would be living in either Totem Park or Place Vanier along with first-years and pretty much making sure everyone is enjoying their first-year experience. They’re in charge of events, clubs and on smaller scale making sure the residents on their floor/in their house are having a good time/not burning the place down.

Initially when I heard about the application I was hesitant to apply. Keep reading →

→ 2 CommentsTags: Events · Excitement · Res Life

A little unconventional but…

April 10th, 2013 · No Comments

This may seem weird and a little out of the ordinary but hey,

so am I.

A really close friend of mine posted this a while ago on her Tumblr about her first-year university experience so far and I gotta say (after experiencing most of these things with her) that she got it spot on.

So here’s the post she made (with permission of course.) Hope you guys enjoy!

Keep reading →

→ No CommentsTags: Res Life

TBDC (Ya know, like ABDC?) No? Alright then.

April 3rd, 2013 · No Comments

Hi. My name is Paul Lee, and welcome ……to TOTEM’S BEST DANCE CREW. Cue dramatic music and theme song

This past week I was asked by a Totem Park club called Rec&Rez to MC one of their events called Totem’s Best Dance Crew. It definitely came as a surprise to me that my name came up at their meetings but I was beyond excited to be considered. I told them I’d love to and was given a script and meeting times for dress rehearsal. Keep reading →

→ No CommentsTags: Events · Excitement · Res Life

The Storm is Here

March 29th, 2013 · No Comments

Every year, UBC holds one of the campus’ largest intermural events called Storm the Wall. And trust me, if you are (or will be) a UBC student you WILL hear about Storm. For those of you who don’t know, Storm is a huge race that consists of a swimming portion, sprinting portion, cycling portion, running portion and finishes off with trying to get your/your team up a 12ft wall!

Pretty much The Flash

Keep reading →

→ No CommentsTags: Events · Excitement · Health

Residence Allocation Process

March 13th, 2013 · No Comments

The Residence Allocation Process. The RAP. Also known as the Hunger Games of Housing.

Except instead of dreading getting picked you actually want to get picked. And instead of fighting to the death you get offered a place to live on campus in second year. Yeah, I was never very good with analogies… Keep reading →

→ No CommentsTags: Excitement · Res Life

READING WEEK

March 1st, 2013 · No Comments

The week every university student has been looking forward to. This year, reading week was a 9 day period that started from the last day of classes on Feb. 15th all the way to Sunday Feb. 24th. Now, reading week is supposed to help you catch up on some work, get ahead in classes, study and relax, but if you know anything about me, that’s not going to happen until the weekend before classes resume. Being a non-native Vancouverite, I’ve been slacking on doing some of the more tourist-y things this beautiful city has to offer. But reading week is the perfect time to get off campus and get out! So here’s a list of the crazy things I did this break that I HIGHLY recommend doing.

Keep reading →

→ No CommentsTags: Excitement · Relax

DO THE HARLEM SHAKE

February 22nd, 2013 · No Comments

As if you need another reason to attend one of the greatest schools in Canada the world:

I present to you, UBC’s very own Harlem Shake:

Keep reading →

→ No CommentsTags: Events · Excitement