PaulLee Wanna Cracker?

GTs at the SLC

January 14th, 2013 · 1 Comment

Disclaimer: GT= Good Time. Don’t listen to the lies Urban Dictionary tells you and think I’m referring to the capital of Guyana.

Surprise surprise, the Student Leadership Conference was ONE HELL OF AN AWESOME TIME. The people were all super friendly, the speakers were smart and informative (the sibling duo of Matt and Stephanie Corker was almost too adorable to handle. Seriously, I didn’t actually believe siblings could get along that well, like, ever) and the opening and closing keynote speakers were some of the most inspirational people I have ever had the privilege of hearing speak.
I seriously recommend attending the SLC if you have the chance! Here are some of the highlights of my day:

• Listening and actually getting to meet the opening keynote speaker, Luca “LazyLegz” Patuelli. Luca was born with a birth defect causing him to live nearly his whole life on crutches but that didn’t stop him from becoming a professional b-boy and founder of the ILL-abilities crew, the world’s first b-boy crew made up of “ill-abled” dancers. He was truly inspirational and one heckuva nice guy. Never forget: No excuses, no limits!

• How beautiful the day turned out to be! Clear skies, fresh air, pristine mountains and I even got to see some coyotes frolicking around. I definitely did not expect Vancouver to be this nice in January.
  • Ballroom dancing was a lunch time activity option that I was FORCED into signing up for against my will. I would have preferred to sign up for improv but I was pleasantly surprised. The dance class, which was taught by the UBC Dance Club, was hilarious amounts of fun! Dancing the Cha-Cha to some catchy top 40 hits with my friends and finding out that you’re actually half decent at it made for a great time.
  • And finally, probably the highlight of my day (possibly life?) was listening to Frank Warren speak as the closing keynote (refer to my high-quality previous post to see how excited I was to hear him). His speech was just as I pictured it: powerful, meaningful and inspirational. Listening to Frank talk about the range of secrets he’s experienced, from domestic abuse to love, from death to peeing in the shower, was truly captivating.

• One last point I need to mention: At the end of Frank’s speech, he asked people from the audience to muster up some courage and tell their secret to everyone in the auditorium. Instantly, one of my best friends, sitting two seats beside me, makes her way to the mic and tells the room full of people about how she’s been struggling with bulimia since high school. She goes on to talk about how she had to overcome her struggles by herself and how she never wants anyone to have to go through what she did. She said that she hopes by sharing her story she could encourage people to tell someone, anyone what they’re going through and get some love and help. Heather, if you’re reading this, what you did took outstanding amounts of courage and I commend you for it. I love you and just want you to know that not a day goes by that I’m not proud of you.

What’s your secret?

Overall, the SLC was one of the most amazing times I’ve had at UBC. I could ramble on and on about it but it’s not like this is a personal blog or anything….

Anyways, hope y’all are having an amazing day and I’ll be sure to post again reeeaaaaal soon!

Tags: Events · Excitement

1 response so far ↓