PaulLee Wanna Cracker?

READING WEEK

March 1st, 2013 · No Comments

The week every university student has been looking forward to. This year, reading week was a 9 day period that started from the last day of classes on Feb. 15th all the way to Sunday Feb. 24th. Now, reading week is supposed to help you catch up on some work, get ahead in classes, study and relax, but if you know anything about me, that’s not going to happen until the weekend before classes resume. Being a non-native Vancouverite, I’ve been slacking on doing some of the more tourist-y things this beautiful city has to offer. But reading week is the perfect time to get off campus and get out! So here’s a list of the crazy things I did this break that I HIGHLY recommend doing.

1. Vancouver Aquarium- http://www.vanaqua.org

The Vancouver Aquarium was definitely one of the highlights of my reading week. Getting to see all the fascinating creatures and on top of that, seeing the dolphin show was beyond amazing. Plus, students get a little discount! The aquarium is located in Stanley Park (another must-see in Vancouver) and take just 2 busses from campus. Afterwards, spend some time downtown and in Stanley Park and you have yourself a full day right there.

IMG_20130218_132455

How do you say no to a sight like this?

2. Grouse mountain- http://www.grousemountain.com 

Grouse mountain was a beautiful place to spend the day. Going from the (surprisingly) beautiful warm day to high up in the mountains was quite the change, but definitely worth it. Grouse has so much to offer, from skating, snowboarding, skiing, sleigh rides, hiking and my personal favourite, zip-lining! Getting to Grouse from campus takes an hour and a half and requires three busses. Grouse is definitely something you have to experience while you’re in Vancouver.

IMG_20130217_153531

Check that off my bucket list

3. Hiking

Vancouver offers so much in terms of hiking and getting outdoors. Especially when the weather cooperates (like it did this break), getting outside is one of the most rewarding and fun activities. It’s simple, affordable and a great way to spend the afternoon.

IMG_20130216_114936

I’ve never seen so much greenery in February…

4. Visiting the States

This one was a big deal for me. Despite my hometown being only an hour drive to the border, I’ve never been to the states before. My friends and I drove down to Bellingham and did some shopping and various other shenanigans (and yes, I said drive. Having friends that live in the greater Vancouver area really does have its perks!). It was a great day trip and I got a ton of really cheap stuff (how I’ve lived my entire life without a gallon jug of Arizona ice tea I’ll never know).

IMG_20130221_142946

‘Murica

Reading week was definitely an action-packed time for me. On the plus side: I got to experience so many amazing things. On the down side: I am now broke and have multiple essays to write, labs to do and assignments to finish. Time to get down to business. Hope everyone else had a great reading week too!

Tags: Excitement · Relax

0 responses so far ↓

• There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.